3.8 V6 80 malibu idel is to high????

A

Anonymous

When i start the car it stays at a pretty high idel is there any way to adjust that or could there be another problem? I do have a exhaust leak at the muffler but just did a tune up and still has high idel??? Im not sure any info would be great Thanks!

80ECLT

MalibuRacing Junkie
Nov 21, 2006
Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin
Does it have A/C? I had the same problem with the high idle. There is a stepper motor attached to the carb throttle linkage. It kicks up the idle when the a/c is running. Mine was broke in the outward position. It might be the problem on yours. Try unplugging it and see if it moves when you turn on the ac... otherwise it could be your idel speed screw, or your kickdown linkage. Try taping the throttle when its running in high idel, does it idle down afterward??

mhamilton

Frequent Racer
Jun 11, 2006
North Carolina
Being in IL, I assume you have the Chevy 229ci 3.8L V6 (not the Buick 3.8L)?

The '80 229 doesn't have the idle control of the later computer models. Just a solenoid to raise the idle a bit with the compressor on.

You should check the a/c solenoid as 80ECLT said, could be stuck or something.

After that, see if the throttle stop is against the curb idle adjustment screw. If it is not touching the screw, then the high idle cam is likely sticking and holding the throttle open.

Also possible you have a vacuum leak somewhere, that will raise the idle up. Or could be that someone before has turned the idle screw to raise it on purpose. The 229 was known for an idle vibration, and raising it up may have been someone's "cure." Should have ~750 rpm in neutral, 600 in drive.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts