Re-Wiring backup lights with B&M shifter

nawlins-tim

Frequent Racer
Jan 28, 2010
New Orleans, Louisiana
I have been meaning to get my backup lights working again. So what I want to hear ,is Where you guys taped into your reverse lights in order to hook-up either a b&m micro switch or something similar.
I guess this would work by simply energizing the back up bulbs with 12v and there you go. Along with some old generic switch near the shifter would work for me. Cosmetically I mean, I don't need anything fancy. So if anyone could ring-in I would appreciate it, BIG TIME....Thanks
by the way I have a wornout B&M Z-gate shifter in a 1980 El Camino with all the factory shifter to indicator parts long gone.

alcohol

Amateur Racer
Feb 28, 2010
meadowbrook, IL
I to am having the same problem. The wires are located on the steering shaft low down by the fire wall hooked up to a white switch. a blue and green wire. I hook those up to the switch on the shifter and no back up lights? Sry I'm no help but it sounds like we have the same problem.

NOT A TA

Frequent Racer
Nov 30, 2009
Delray Beach FL
I don't know about the Z gate but had the same problem with a Quicksilver and ignored it till I got booted out of tech at a NMCA race for no neutral safety in one of my cars. Installed a microswitch screwed to the top of the shifter that would only allow the switch to be closed (to start car) when it was in park. Later on I ordered a couple switches for reverse and neutral safety and mounting screws from B&M that allow you to install switches in the Quicksilver. Then found the correct wires at the base of the column and made some extensions to the shifter. You need to locate the wires for the reverse and neutral safety. If it's like the cars I've done it in there's a connector at the base of the column that has both. Haven't done it on my bu so I can't tell you colors etc.

If the Z Gate has got a plate with the notches in it that moves as you shift like the one on the Quicksilver below with the mounting provisions for the switches you can just bolt in a couple switches and wire them up. I don't know why they don't just provide them like they do with some of the Megashifters since the shifter is already made for the switches. Hope maybe this helps a little.

WheelNutzshifteranddash005.jpg

WheelNutzshifteranddash004.jpg

pl235c

Amateur Racer
Apr 16, 2007
wichita kansas
I just unplugged the reverse light switch on the bottom of the column and hardwired from the plug to my shifter. Didn't even have to cut any factory wiring. Took some tweaking of the microswitch to make it work properly ( so the lights come on when in reverse). It was super easy.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!