New Member from Michigan

gearheaddrew

Sep 28, 2020
Hello,

New to the forum, picked up a 78 Malibu last month. Plan is to LS swap.

The engine is:
2011 L20 4.8 VVT engine - DBW
4L60E 2wd transmission
Intact stock harness/ECM/Throttle pedal/Accessories

The car:
1978 Malibu Classic - 74k original miles
Maroon and Red vinyl
Nice interior but smells of 30yrs of barn storage and mouse hotel - buckets and console shift
Engine - 305
Tran - Metric 200?
Rear axle - 7.5 with aluminum brake drums
Factory AC car - stock suspension.
FX spoilers ground effects kit? That's what's on the boxes.

The original owner got too old to drive it, gave it to her daughter who had a small fender bender, they then sold it to the gentleman I got it from. He never drove it just put it in the barn to one day fix.

Engine swap plan:
From what I have read you can use Sphon engine mounts and retain the stock truck pan and accessories. I want to keep the VVT as HPtuners allows for tuning with it. If the truck pan wont fit I have read that the CTSV pan is a good choice. I called and asked Holley if their pan is compatible with VVT and they said no.

Radiator: An aluminum one with an e-fan would be ideal. I heard dodge intrepid fans are a good fit on a stock radiator so maybe a new OEM and those fans?
Headers: So many choices, most likely long tubes, ceramic coated so they don't look terrible after 1 week Headman/Holley/etc....
ECM: Tuning with HPtuners
Engine harness: PSI conversions or send the stocker out to be modified? Thoughts?
Fuel system: Tanks Inc. tank, and LS swap plumbing, TI Automotive pump (Walbro).

Trans mounting is simple with the cross-members available today - either Trans Dapt (Headman Headers) or Holley for this one. Unless someone knows of a better option.

Rear axle: I am trying to get my hands on a 8.5 and do a LT1 rear brake conversion on it with the Flynbye brackets.

Got a set of s10 blazer front spindle and calipers from another buddy that has been saving stuff.

Suspension: will get new shocks, lowering coils, and stock replacement of worn parts for now. Would like to do a pro-touring style suspension later on.

Body: I am undecided which way to go. Its not terrible surface rust mostly, but after power washing the years of dust off i noticed the driver floor pan has some holes so a replacement panel will need to go in. I am gutting the interior anyway to try and get that mouse smell out so would be the perfect time to do it.

Interior: I plan to keep the red, going to try and get the seats re-foamed these covers are in great shape its unreal. The dash is un-cracked and all of the panels look in good shape. New seals, under-layment/sound deadening and carpet if necessary will happen.

Attachments

• IMG_2517.JPG
    IMG_2517.JPG
    412.2 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_2518.JPG
    IMG_2518.JPG
    295.7 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_2519.JPG
    IMG_2519.JPG
    274.1 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_2520.JPG
    IMG_2520.JPG
    273.2 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_2521.JPG
    IMG_2521.JPG
    325.5 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_2523.JPG
    IMG_2523.JPG
    332.3 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_2525.JPG
    IMG_2525.JPG
    313.6 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_2526.JPG
    IMG_2526.JPG
    285 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_2537.JPG
    IMG_2537.JPG
    215.9 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_2538.JPG
    IMG_2538.JPG
    361.4 KB · Views: 249
Reactions: GP403

gearheaddrew

Sep 28, 2020
more pictures

Attachments

• IMG_2539.JPG
    IMG_2539.JPG
    444.2 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_2540.JPG
    IMG_2540.JPG
    442.6 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_2541.JPG
    IMG_2541.JPG
    596.7 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_2551.JPG
    IMG_2551.JPG
    658.8 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_2553.JPG
    IMG_2553.JPG
    498.4 KB · Views: 235
Reactions: GP403

gearheaddrew

Sep 28, 2020
I was told it is a Cutlass wheel, not sure where the guy I bought the car from found the horn button but it looks pretty good.

Picked up some wheels he had in the loft of his barn also and threw some used rubber on them. Amazing what a set of wheels did for the car. I have 6 of these "monte" style wheels and a set of 88-90 Iroc 15" wheels now.

Attachments

• IMG_2614.JPG
    IMG_2614.JPG
    378.2 KB · Views: 216

Melvin

Oct 2, 2020
Hello,

New to the forum, picked up a 78 Malibu last month. Plan is to LS swap.

The engine is:
2011 L20 4.8 VVT engine - DBW
4L60E 2wd transmission
Intact stock harness/ECM/Throttle pedal/Accessories

The car:
1978 Malibu Classic - 74k original miles
Maroon and Red vinyl
Nice interior but smells of 30yrs of barn storage and mouse hotel - buckets and console shift
Engine - 305
Tran - Metric 200?
Rear axle - 7.5 with aluminum brake drums
Factory AC car - stock suspension.
FX spoilers ground effects kit? That's what's on the boxes.

The original owner got too old to drive it, gave it to her daughter who had a small fender bender, they then sold it to the gentleman I got it from. He never drove it just put it in the barn to one day fix.

Engine swap plan:
From what I have read you can use Sphon engine mounts and retain the stock truck pan and accessories. I want to keep the VVT as HPtuners allows for tuning with it. If the truck pan wont fit I have read that the CTSV pan is a good choice. I called and asked Holley if their pan is compatible with VVT and they said no.

Radiator: An aluminum one with an e-fan would be ideal. I heard dodge intrepid fans are a good fit on a stock radiator so maybe a new OEM and those fans?
Headers: So many choices, most likely long tubes, ceramic coated so they don't look terrible after 1 week Headman/Holley/etc....
ECM: Tuning with HPtuners
Engine harness: PSI conversions or send the stocker out to be modified? Thoughts?
Fuel system: Tanks Inc. tank, and LS swap plumbing, TI Automotive pump (Walbro).

Trans mounting is simple with the cross-members available today - either Trans Dapt (Headman Headers) or Holley for this one. Unless someone knows of a better option.

Rear axle: I am trying to get my hands on a 8.5 and do a LT1 rear brake conversion on it with the Flynbye brackets.

Got a set of s10 blazer front spindle and calipers from another buddy that has been saving stuff.

Suspension: will get new shocks, lowering coils, and stock replacement of worn parts for now. Would like to do a pro-touring style suspension later on.

Body: I am undecided which way to go. Its not terrible surface rust mostly, but after power washing the years of dust off i noticed the driver floor pan has some holes so a replacement panel will need to go in. I am gutting the interior anyway to try and get that mouse smell out so would be the perfect time to do it.

Interior: I plan to keep the red, going to try and get the seats re-foamed these covers are in great shape its unreal. The dash is un-cracked and all of the panels look in good shape. New seals, under-layment/sound deadening and carpet if necessary will happen.
Nice project bro,

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!