1 wire alt

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
i have the stock wiring set up on my current alt. i'm being told to switch to a 1 wire alt. how do you wire that up? from the pics i've seen, it looks like the plug is missing and there's just a wire going to the post.

Goob

Top Fueler
Jun 6, 2003
Indianapolis
Yup, just change the regulator, hook up the output wire, good to go.
It is a must to run a volt meter though, or you'll never know if there is a failure.

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
alright....i'm sure i'm about to sound like an idiot......but here it goes. are you meaning that if i want to convert my current alt to a single wire that i'd have to change the regulator?

Goob

Top Fueler
Jun 6, 2003
Indianapolis
Yes sir, it's about a $15 piece, not that complicated to split the case and install, but you have to do the same things as if you replace the brushes.

Take the bolts from the case halves, carefully pull it apart, disconnect the 3 solid copper wires from the stator to the rectifier bridge, take out the screws holding the regulator and brush housing, remove the diode trio, and replace the regulator, push the brushes back into the holder, take a soft item like a toothpick, or aerosol can squirt tube to hold the brushes while you put it back together, you know, reverse procedure of disassembly. Once you have the case back together, pull the tube holding the brushes and you are ready to rock, one wire style.
It takes about 1700 alternator RPM's to kick in, and every once in a while I have had to jumper and energize the regulator sense wire terminal to get the deal charging, but that is a one-time deal.

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
that's what i thought. in this case, i'm going to be buying a new alternator. my old one isn't charging all that well. seems like it takes until about 3000 rpm or so before it does anything. if i'm cruising around, it's not charging at all. on top of that, i'd like to get at least 100 amp. my current one isn't.

so, the wire will go to the post on the back of the alt. would i run this right to my battery disconnect switch?

Goob

Top Fueler
Jun 6, 2003
Indianapolis
would i run this right to my battery disconnect switch?

Correct, on the battery side though, the car must turn off with the switch to be track legal.

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
yeah...i didn't do that with my current setup. turn the switch off and the car will stay running (which makes me wonder how the alternator isn't charging, yet keeps the car running). when i switch to a new one, i'll route it right to the battery switch.

Goob

Top Fueler
Jun 6, 2003
Indianapolis
1700 RPM is all it takes mine to kick in, with a 50% crank pulley, and nearly same size alternator pulley, for a close to 1:1 drive.

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
my intentions are to have an alternator that charges all the time. so, am i going about this the right way? i'm not fussy as to how it's wired. if i have to use the stock wiring, that's fine. i want to start it and have at least 14V. it has to be possible....my 08 silverado has that at idle.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!