10 Bolt rear posi question, maybe blown or not...

406malibu78

Weekend Racer
Feb 10, 2012
pittsfield mass
Guy I bought the car from told me he put in a posi. Believed him, car was brought home on a flatbed. I just jacked the car up this morning, and when I turn a wheel one way, the other one turns the opposite way. Took off the cover, looks like a posi to me, forgive my stupidity, Im not much of a mechanic.. Just wondering could it have something wrong with it, or what.. Motor is out, so cant test rear on road.. Could it be a limited slip ?? I thought if you had a posi, both wheels turn the same way ..Thanks

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 1,532
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 1,510

406malibu78

Weekend Racer
Feb 10, 2012
pittsfield mass
OK.. so is it supposed to act the way i described? I cant see anything cracked or broken.. I have never heard of a gov lock, any good or junk??

lilbowtie

Pro Stocker
Oct 5, 2004
Canton Mi.
Its working just fine - some people like them others think they are junk. Google gov lock posi and check out for yourself. If you spin your yoke fast it should engage and both axles spin the same way.

406malibu78

Weekend Racer
Feb 10, 2012
pittsfield mass
Ok thanks much ..Its a daily driver 4 speed, I guess I will have to be a little gentle on the shifting...One last question. I already put the cover back on, is regular gear oil ok, and do I need the posi additive.. Thanks again

80malibucoup

Frequent Racer
Feb 8, 2011
Jonesboro,Ga
A gov lock works when one wheel starts to slip the locking mec locks the other wheel in or when there is alot of torq applied. I had one in my other car,I didn't like it so much because you never know when it's engaged or disengaged. Yes you should use a posi additive with the gear oil.

HP JUNKEY

Dragway Regular
Oct 30, 2008
Buffalo.NY
406malibu78 said:
Ok thanks much ..Its a daily driver 4 speed, I guess I will have to be a little gentle on the shifting...One last question. I already put the cover back on, is regular gear oil ok, and do I need the posi additive.. Thanks again

Buy the Lucas brand Gear oil, it has the additive in it already.

80malibucoup

Frequent Racer
Feb 8, 2011
Jonesboro,Ga
HP JUNKEY said:
406malibu78 said:

Buy the Lucas brand Gear oil, it has the additive in it already.
Or the Royle Purple

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
not to hijack but hows the head gasket thing going?

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Gov Lock differentials do not have clutches. GM does not recommend any friction modifier for those diffs. They are centifugally actuated. Use of any friction modifier (posi additive) can delay lockup of the diff & cause premature axle wear... Use 80w90...

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts