12" brakes

vickysbu

Amateur Racer
Jan 14, 2011
Low End
I did the b-body spindle upgrade for bigger brakes. Now I realize that I didnt plan ahead as well as I thought. Get my front runners on and they are causing issues with the lug nuts and studs. It dawns on me that after doing the b-body spindle and big brake mod, I have to run 16" or bigger wheels and of course my front runners are 15". So I figure easy fix, find a 16" front runner but thats not a common wheel size for rims. Anyone else ran into this problem, and if so, what did you come up with?

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
The B-body /12" brakes setup usually works with 15" wheels. What's your clearance issue?

Tommy

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
B-bodies came with 15" wheels from the factory so you shouldnt be having any issues unless you also swapped to C4 calipers, they take up some more real estate and require 16" wheels.

vickysbu

Amateur Racer
Jan 14, 2011
Low End
After installing the front runners one of the studs was bent and all of the lug nuts broke off on the first drive out the garage, good thing I didnt get too far from the garage.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
:shock: :-k Something's not right & it doesn't sound like a clearance issue. Are the lug nuts the right size/type for the wheel?

Tommy

vickysbu

Amateur Racer
Jan 14, 2011
Low End
I ordered what the manufacturer suggested, only difference was the brand. The wheels are Greg Welds.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
vickysbu said:
I ordered what the manufacturer suggested, only difference was the brand. The wheels are Greg Welds.

What manufacturer? Greg Weld is dead & the company has been out of business for at least 2 years... :?:

BTW, there have been lots of people with stud breakage with Greg Weld wheels. Many of them use offset washers.

Tommy

vickysbu

Amateur Racer
Jan 14, 2011
Low End
yeah i purchased these wheels about 3 years ago while the car was still under construction. What exactly are offset washers?

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
They look like this:

sum-754051_w.jpg

Many times the wheel doesn't have round stud holes, it has a slots or oversize holes so the wheel can fit multiple applications. If you use a wheel designed for offset washers without them, it often causes stud breakage.

Tommy

vickysbu

Amateur Racer
Jan 14, 2011
Low End
You are exactly correct, the wheels have the oversized or slotted holes as you described. Where can I find the washers you have pictured?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!