16 Volts .....

Excelerater

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 22, 2003
Memphis,TN
any of you ladies running a 16V system?

I am considering it but would like to know more.......

enlighten me

78_Elky

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2005
Oregon
smlblk78.onlineshowoff.com
mine is supposed to be 12V but it seems to run at 14V most of the time?!?!?

what is a 16V system, and does it just add more juice for the coil and stuff?
-Josh

4doorbu

Pro Stocker
May 21, 2003
south jersey
i want to know the same thing! i'm switching over to 16v, no more alternator.

78 Elky

Frequent Racer
May 27, 2003
Silver Lake, WI 53170
Technical background:

Everything takes power to run. In the electrical world,

Power = Voltage*Current

Going to a higher voltage drops the current demand for the accessories. High currents create losses in the form of heat.

This is why high voltage power lines are used to transmit electricity over long distances, it is really efficient.

Only problem is that once your voltage gets high enough, your electrical components need to be designed for it, ie number of windings on coils, fuel pumps, starters etc.

Hopefully that has truth and is applicable unless I am totally glossing over something about a 16V system for cars.

A

Anonymous

make sure you run a 16volt OK'd waterpump and fan as these batteries cause fits in some of them.

Griswald

Pro Stocker
Jul 6, 2003
Austin, Tx
I switched to 2 16v batteries this year. Can't say that I've experienced a performance gain from the switch, though. One thing I do know, the motor spins over incredibly fast and seems to start easier.

DB

Frequent Racer
Jan 20, 2006
Alabama
I swapped to a single 16v powermaster. It's enough for me to crank and get to the staging lanes, make a 1/4 pass. I do have to shut the car off while I'm rolling up the chute, then restart and drive back to the pits. I noticed if you have to start the car several times it really pulls the battery down. I've had to restart as much as 5 times.

With fuel injection the car starts easier and idles cleaner with more voltage. I still have a 14 volt alternator on it but I remove the belt. For street driving I put the belt back on and swap batteries. I thought maybe the alternator would keep it maintained at 14v but it won't. If the 16v gets down to 14 volts it will drop quickly.

NoMoore

Pro Stocker
May 26, 2006
Rochester, Pa
I was speaking with an angine builder last night who did this change to his uncles pulling truck.

He cannot say that is makes any more or less power, but it needed more pump shot. Beats me, but its interesting.

Mark 79 Monte

Dragway Regular
May 21, 2003
Auburn, Washington
78 Elky said:
Technical background:

Going to a higher voltage drops the current demand for the accessories. High currents create losses in the form of heat.

This is why high voltage power lines are used to transmit electricity over long distances, it is really efficient.

I'm not an electrical engineer, but I don't believe thats exactly true. The resistance of a device or circuit does not drop as voltage rise, therefor the current draw will remain constant. Raising voltage to a device increases the power it uses along with the heat it dissapates. There is no efficiency to gain by increasing voltage.

High power lines are efficient because the AC is changed from 60 cycle to about 400 cycle. the higher frequency has less loss.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts