17x7 vs 17x8 front wheel

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
when it came time to buy my front wheels i bought a 17x7 and the most backspacing i could get was 4"I'd like to see them closer to the frame but my thought is if i ran an 8" wheel even with 4 3/4 backspace it would be to wide to start?I'm trying to pull the wheel away from the fender even with the 225's it's to close on a lower 2" car.any ideas on my train of thinking with the 8"wheel?

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
I started with 17x8's up there with 225"s. I had done the Bbody brake sway before that so the track is slightly wider (3/8"- 1/2" each side) It even looked too wide compared to the rears. The car is also lowered 2" or more. My front bump stops are actually just at the frame now. I originally went with 4-3/4" backspace with 8's (the most I could get in a standard TT2). The tires cleared the lip and liner but rubbed the liner slightly on minor bumps. Not satisfied, my machinist buddy took about 1/4" off the wheel inner mount pads making them 5" back space. He assured me there was pretty left :shock: Never had trouble with em. It was better, but still not satisfied. Orderd 17x7"s w/4-3/4" back space which was a non standard back space (special order at extra cost). They are perfect now and I'm happy :roll: Hope that helps.

Steve

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
yes it does answer my question thank you,i won't be better off with an 8"wheel regardless of backspacing.i recall when you were doing that with your front wheels after reading your reply,if i could of gotten these wheels in the more backspace i would of. i had my 18x9's in the rear turned down 3/16".it might help the front but still look funny ](*,)compared to what i'd like it to look.thanks for the help.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts