1978 rear end questions/suggestions

2drsedanman

Weekend Racer
Dec 6, 2006
ashland, ky
A buddy of mine recently junked a 78 malibu four door but kept the rear because he says it is a posi. He says it still has the tag. I'm going to check it out tomorrow. Any idea what ratio this might be? I'm thinking it is probably a 2.73. I currently have a 2.29 in my car. Would I be able to tell that much difference If I swapped out these rear ends?

tiedyemike8

Frequent Racer
Oct 28, 2009
Naperville, IL
Yes, it will be very noticeable, and more fun to drive than a 2.29 gear. I don't know your combo, but if I were going to do that, I'd just go ahead and put a 3.08-3.73 gear in and be done with it. Unless you're trying to keep good fuel mileage. . .

cutlass389

Frequent Racer
Feb 2, 2009
NC
Double check with Jim (monzaz) but there is a 2 series carrier (3.08 and down numerically) and a 3 series carrier (3.23 and higher numerically). There are aftermarket thicker gears that can mount 3.23 and higher numerically gears on 2 series carriers but you need to know what you're dealing with in the first place. You can either mark and count the number of rotations of the yoke to the axle or take off the cover and physically count the teeth of the pinion and ring gear. Taking the cover off will allow verification of a posi or not. Even if there is a tag someone may have changed out over the past 33 years.

lurchsmalibu

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2005
Lakeland, Florida
Heck, I went from a 2.4X to a 2.73 ratio and it was great! The LS 3.73 rear end in the garage only goes in for the car show days when the mood is right until I can stumble across a cheap 200R4. :lol:

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts