1979 malibu cheap ls swap possible?

Big Reazon

Weekend Racer
Feb 6, 2007
Seattle, Wa
I have access to a lq9 and and a l76/l92 engine. Im am on a 2500 dollar minus the 1600 for the motor so 900 for accessories I am getting the motor complete with accessories and harness. I plan on stock motor mounts with the 1inch setback plates and the pace setter headers. I already have a grand national gas tank with fuel pump. I didnt grab the fuel lines when I was at the wrecking yard so I need an idea for those also. Do you guys think the swap is doable for 900 being I already have gas tank, rear end, and plan to use my built th350? By the way the car is a 79 malibu. I shaved the firewall so motor clearance is not an issue. I am even willing to go carbed for time being on my budget.

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com
Big Reazon said:
I have access to a lq9 and and a l76/l92 engine. Im am on a 2500 dollar minus the 1600 for the motor so 900 for accessories I am getting the motor complete with accessories and harness. I plan on stock motor mounts with the 1inch setback plates and the pace setter headers. I already have a grand national gas tank with fuel pump. I didnt grab the fuel lines when I was at the wrecking yard so I need an idea for those also. Do you guys think the swap is doable for 900 being I already have gas tank, rear end, and plan to use my built th350? By the way the car is a 79 malibu. I shaved the firewall so motor clearance is not an issue. I am even willing to go carbed for time being on my budget.

If you go carb then id say it is not doable for 900$. Isnt the intake and MSD box like $700 or more?

If you go FI and can do the harness yourself id say its doable. $1600 is a tad high for the motor possibly. Id just do an LQ4 and save a couple hundred or more honestly.

87SS

Dragway Regular
Jul 18, 2004
Hillsborough, NJ
www.cardomain.com
I am real close to finishing my LS build and getting it fired up and know I went way over my original budget. I could have went cheaper on many parts, but tried spending the money only once with future upgrades in mind. I am also finding I am spending a lot of money on bolts which did not come with my motor. If yours is complete, you should be good.

Don't forget to include the cost to tune your ECM if you stick with the EFI. If you have a friend with EFI/HPT you are set, otherwise figure $175-$200 for a mail order tune to eliminate VATS and emissions crap, etc and get you going.

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
I asked the same thing about 2.5 years ago...so lemme break down what you want to know:

Computer reworked/reprogrammed ect--360 from wait4meperformance.com
fuel pump Walboro--160
sending unit--150 rock auto
exhaust rebuilt 250 bucks
driveshaft recut ??
trans parts (original trans or one with new engine.) adapter or crossmember
misc parts--I leave about 500 here

There are a lot of nitnoid things that go into this. If you change the transmission, the speedometer has to be fixed either with the electric one...but its worth itin the end.

The price of the engine sounds high, very high. I'd scour the ls1tech.com forums looking for somebody who was selling the swap parts ect.

Big Reazon

Weekend Racer
Feb 6, 2007
Seattle, Wa
1600 seems high for a complete 6.0 motor with stock accessories and wiring harness? anybody have a diagram to modify stock truck harness?

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com
Big Reazon said:
1600 seems high for a complete 6.0 motor with stock accessories and wiring harness? anybody have a diagram to modify stock truck harness?
Yeah, 1600 is a bit high. At least in my area. Wait4me charges $75 to just do the ECM re-program. $360 is if they do a harness for you as well.

I have the schematics you'll need to do the harness.

Big Reazon

Weekend Racer
Feb 6, 2007
Seattle, Wa
388bu said:
Big Reazon said:
Yeah, 1600 is a bit high. At least in my area. Wait4me charges $75 to just do the ECM re-program. $360 is if they do a harness for you as well.

I have the schematics you'll need to do the harness.
anyway you can email those schematics to [email protected] I have a buddy that can do the reflash and dno tune the car for once I get up and going.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!