1980 malibu first time drag car setup

mturner0111

May 5, 2015
Hello everyone I'm new to the site and new to drag racing I just bought a 1980 malibu with a blown trans for 3500 that comes with tons of parts with the goal of having a 10 sec car I'll post pics later but it has a 383 sbc with around 425hp I'll say an has a nitrous express system with a 150hp shot what suspension mods are need to really make it hook up and be capable of making a 10 second pass. Right now the car has a ford 9 in with 4.56 gears mouser axles and a detriot locker and 26x8.50 mt et's also came with a new set of Mt et's 28x10.50x10's also has a new set of moroso front an rear springs drag springs not installed and competition engineering adjustable drag shocks front and rear an has a set of drag bags to. Can I make these parts work together to meet my goal or is there other things I'll need I've got a budget of about 7k to work with I also already have a th350 to go back in the car and a 3500 stall. Any input is really appreciated!

wrenchead

Dec 24, 2012
In order to meet your ET goals, you may want to start on a weight reduction program and eliminate as much unneeded weight as possible.

I would install a power glide trans for that gear ratio. Then make sure that 383 motor is internally balanced.
And go through it to see what it has in it. Get it dyno tuned and the suspension dialed in,then run it all motor. Then start tuning with the nitrous.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!