1988 Olds Cutlass column shift linkage

LWillmann

Weekend Racer
A long time ago, say 3 1/2 years or so, I took the car apart to start my resto-mod project and in the many many moons that have passed since then I seem to have forgotten or misplaced the pieces that anchor the underside of the car.

To be as clear as possible:

The linkage leaves the firewall and turns toward the ground, from there it connects to an anchor point attached to the body or the driver's side frame rail, and then goes to the transmission.

Can someone get me some pictures of how the shift linkage is connected to that anchor point attached to the body / driver's side frame rail? I need to locate all my pieces and get the linkage reconnected to the transmission so I can move the car some.

At some point, I plan to move to a floor shift setup, but I don't have the money for a new column and center console and floor shifter so this is the best solution for me.

79wagonator

Dragway Regular
Jan 3, 2006
Long Island, NY
www.cardomain.com
Ill go see if i can get a pic for ya.

79wagonator

Dragway Regular
Jan 3, 2006
Long Island, NY
www.cardomain.com
The bracket is mounted over the brake distribution thingy if you can see in the pics
IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

LWillmann

Weekend Racer
Thanks for the pictures!

I've still got that spring, but I've got to figure out how that spring and the linkage itself is held on that bracket. Maybe it is held on there by the shift lever on the transmission itself? Any chance you can tell what is actually holding that part of the linkage on that bracket?

1980PontiacWagon

Frequent Racer
Feb 5, 2011
Northern Virginia
The springs rests on a plastic bushing in the bracket thats bolted to the perportioning valve.. the rod is held in place when its attached to the transmission..The spring is there because when you change gears that rod moves and the spring keeps everything aligned.

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
This may help with reassembly>> http://www.compnine.com/index.php?u=1&year=1988&artnbr=MG4-3&artsfx=NULL&supplgroup=NULL&catcode=32W&modelcode=G&makecode=O&modelseries=GA&uid=1&modelid=1147577358&capuid=1&majorgroup=04&grouptype=B

LWillmann

Weekend Racer
SSedan64 said:
This may help with reassembly>> http://www.compnine.com/index.php?u=1&year=1988&artnbr=MG4-3&artsfx=NULL&supplgroup=NULL&catcode=32W&modelcode=G&makecode=O&modelseries=GA&uid=1&modelid=1147577358&capuid=1&majorgroup=04&grouptype=B

Thanks very much! I may end up trying to order some parts if I am missing stuff.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!