2003 chevy z 71 5.3 useing major oil

malibu mouse

Amateur Racer
Feb 15, 2009
St louis,Mo
I have a 2003 z71 i bought new it now has 66,000 miles and i replaced the oil pump 3 or 4 months ago and this thing went from useing no oil to where i am constantly puting oil in it. I have no leaks that i can see and it doesnt smoke maybe a little when its dark i can see some in the headlights behind me . I put a melling high volume oil pump could this have caused any problems it has awesome oil pressure . I have always used Mobil 1 Synthetic . Any suggestions would help . ](*,)

Badass355ciZ28

Amateur Racer
Nov 22, 2005
rochdale, massachusetts
check the valve covers where the tubing goes from the valve cover to the intake.looks for oil in those lines...if there is oil in them then replace the valve covers.the baffles tend to leak oil though them after awhile..also there is some bulleting about a newly designed windage tray too.ill see if i can locate that at work since i am a gm auto tech. if you need a set of valve covers i do have a brane new set with gaskets and bolts for sale.

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
If there is oil in those baffles it may indicate "over active" lifters, as GM calls it. What's it like starting up? It could be some bad rings in one or multiple cylinders if you do get some knock or slapping noises at startup.

LT1_Malibu

Amateur Racer
Jan 19, 2006
Greenup, Kentucky
01+ LSx engines have a tendency to use a little more oil than people like. I can't remember 100% why, but I know people that have installed a recirculating catch can and it solves the problem.

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
Some do convert their engines to use the LS6 style PCV, I've got the valley cover with the PCV from an LS6 but you need to cut the block a little bit to put it on so I'm a little hesitant.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts