200r4 info needed

79izfine

Pro Stocker
Nov 20, 2005
massachusetts
www.cardomain.com
i have a chance to get one out of a 87 caprice and wondered are there any differences from the monte ss and gran national trannies from what i understand the GN and monte ss had different valvebodies

JamesC459

Amateur Racer
Mar 30, 2004
fitzwilliam NH
Just get it a wing a TCI constant pressure valve body in it. The kit eliminates the TV cable the can be difficult to adjust properly.

wayoutthere007

Daily Driver
Jan 12, 2009
The turbobuick.com crowd are experts on the 2004r transmissions. I have a CZ code trans in my 88 Monte SS. You're right - the valve bodies are different, as well as the servo's. It's also critical to have the TV cable set up correctly or low line pressure will shorten the life of the transmission. There are several options for TCC lockup - B&M makes an adjustable one, TCI makes one, and Bowler Performance Transmissions has one.
You could also choose to do a non-lockup torque converter which requires changing out the TV plunger for one that supports a non-lockup converter.
ckperformance.com is a good place to visit and learn some stuff. As well as on the turbobuick forums.

I think Chris sells valve bodies for a couple hundred bucks. You might be able to get one off the TB forums. I'm not sure what your technical abilities are. I had my 2004R rebuilt by a local shop. I provided them with a front pump, full rebuild kit, TransGo HD2 shift kit, 2400 stall lockup converter, and a Grand National servo. I also use a TV cable system from BowTieOverdrives and get very good shifts now.

For 'drop in performance' the one you're looking at may not be what you want. Good luck!

79izfine

Pro Stocker
Nov 20, 2005
massachusetts
www.cardomain.com
i am basically a novice my plan was to buy the trans off a local seller out of an 87 caprice ,,,,i saw a tci valvebody for $189 .00 said it keeps 200 psi constant line pressure and supposed to extend life of clutches etc and other info but still have time to research everything ,,,, next planned on getting a converter a buddy told me ones are available that eliminates the need for the electrical kit for the 4th gear issue was going that route and lastly ,,,, having it rebuilt buy a local shop seems its gonna cost a good chunk of coin to swap out the th350 but my thinking is change rear gearing from 3:42 to 3:90 figure the OD would be better on highway ... thanks for the info from both of you

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
I think the Caprice 2004R will have a CR code, if so there not bad. Several builders have used the CR & KC code trans with a SSMonte CZ code Governor to get 6100-6200rpm Auto shifts. They say part throttle kickdown is more lively with the CR/KC also.
The TCI Constant Pressure VB still uses the TV cable for part throttle shift timing but, it doesn't control pressure. It can cause premature pump wear with the constant high pressure. Can also give firm/hard shifts at part throttle.
All 2004R cores/cases are the same, ValveBodies, Governors, Servos, Pump Boost Valves are different.
You can get a Non-Lockup kit to run a Non-Lockup Converter.
There are kits that use internal hydraulics to operate 4th gear only TCC/TorqueConverterClutch Lockup eliminating all electrical wiring.
I'd go with CKPerformances Shift Recal kit. He has a sale on 2004R's & 4340 Billet parts now on the TurboBuick.com forum.
Todd

79izfine

Pro Stocker
Nov 20, 2005
massachusetts
www.cardomain.com
thanks for the info SSdan good to know about that tci VB ,,,,, going to run a full manual VB was told eliminates the tv cable ,,,, will have to see what trans code it is thanks again

Wile E

Dragway Regular
Aug 11, 2003
Central WISC
This guy (see link) is pretty big with the LS crowd. Contact name is Frank.
http://performabuilt.com/2004r.html

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts