200R4 w/lockup at the track

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
I'm not a frequent racer. Maybe a dumb question. Recently installed a 200R4 with all kinds of parts from C/K Performance #-o Should hold up okay behind my mild 383 for awhile. Plan to get a few time slips at the next "Show N Go" just to see what it'll run. I am using one of C/K's D5 medium stall converters (2600-2800??) Should I bother w/the lockup or not? I have it wired through the brake switch and a manual toogle to lock-up in 4th only. If I use it, should I just let it lock-up on it's own or toogle on later? Running a ford 9" w/3.73's and 26" tall tires.

Thanks,
Steve

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Thanks lastime..I agree Art designs a very good 200R4. I had to buy one of his dip stick and tubes for mine. Fit perfect! There are several reputable suppliers out there. C/k Performance happens to be one of them. I used their most inclusive master recalibration/rebuild kit, super servo, boost valves, wide band, extra clutches, stator support, foward drum and D5 lock-up converter. The list goes on. I had my local builder build the trans from a good core he had set aside years ago. I believe we attended to the most weakest areas of the 200R4 for the mild setup I have. Time will tell though. Wasn't sure if using the lockup during a run was advisable or not. Thanks!

Steve

2doorBu

Frequent Racer
No lockup at the track. The turbobuick site has lots of great info on these trans and how they run them. One way these guys have killed the trans quicker was leaving it in the overdrive position and racing. I dont know if you used it as well but CK a tech book on how to build these things to hold some power.

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Thanks 2door.........didn't buy the manual from Chris @ CK but went by the instructions that came with his overall/recalibration kit. It went together well and even managed to convert several thrust washers to roller bearings after some machining work. It works perfectly and just has he described it would. Haven't raced it yet but will check out the Turbo Buick site as you suggested. Have also sent Chris an email but haven't heard from him yet. Thanks again.

Steve

dwkohout

Frequent Racer
Sep 25, 2004
Albany,MN
I dont see an issue lockin the converter wot. Ive been abusing a 700r4 behind a 455 for ten yrs now. It locks hydraulicly in 3rd.

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
dwkohout.....Albany, Mn...we're close. Can't recall seeing your Cutlass before. Nice! Which converter are you running? Finnally heard from Chris at C/K Performance. Because this is a single disc and plate D5, he didn't advise me locking it up at WO throttle at all. I suppose locking a multi-disc $$ wouldn't be as big an issue?? For now I'll take his advice. Do you make it to Grove Creek...Brainerd?? Local shows?? We usually make it to Little Falls every fall. Thanks!

Steve

dwkohout

Frequent Racer
Sep 25, 2004
Albany,MN
Lol Steve, I didnt notice your profile. Ive made several converter changes but theyve been stock type rebuilds, single disc. Since I have no control over lockup it locks the converter every time its gone into 3rd. Read on turbo buicks theyve been lockin converters too. Ive done abit of drag racing at Wed night Brainerd, Grove City, and Interstate Dragways. Ive even driven to and raced at Byron Ill 4-5 times. Not so much for car shows. The only one I'll do is Albany Chrysler Centers which is Aug 2nd this yr.

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Aug 2nd....busy reunion weekend! Too bad. Would like to make it to Albany show sometime. Sister and family in Melrose (Breitbach Construction) so we pass through once in awhile. Originally planned the car Pro Tour but so much new stuff out there couldn't keep up$$. We settle for occasional club cruise and local shows once in awhile. Plan to take it to the "Summer Cruise" the 20th in St Paul just to say it was there once. Maybe run into you sometime.

Steve

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts