255/60/15 more fitment quesstions

SEVNT 9

Dragway Regular
what size rim with what size back spacing should work to center this tire in my wheel well?? i dont want the tire sticking out of the fender... i read the sticky's and went through a lot of posts including history and i cant seem to get a good answer i want to do absoulutly nothing to the frame or wheel wells otherwise id consider a 275, been looking at the mickey thompson et street radials any pros/cons other opinions?? ill keep the street tires for street driving and the drag radials for track time car hooks ok with street tires now so just a stickier compound, smaller diameter, and wider tread should help improve my 60 foot times current tires = 235/70/r15 firestone lemans best 60 foot was 1.77 with a decent roasting of the tires in the burn out box (no water)

MEGABU

Top Fueler
Aug 20, 2007
Blue Island, IL
15x8 4.5" backspace, provided your rear is stock width. btw, you could fit up to a 275 60 15 in there with zero struggle. just my 2 cnts.
mine has stock frame & wheelwells, and that's the rim & tire size you see here. fits perfect.

SEVNT 9

Dragway Regular
do you have any more pics or ones that are closer (side profile or even fender to tire clearence)

SEVNT 9

Dragway Regular
thank you!!! i just want to shop around get some ideas see what others have done and do a lil more research before i purchase anything thank you again so much!

SEVNT 9

Dragway Regular
thanks again!!!! i like the look!! is your 9" stock width? i was just checking on summit these tires are wider than a 10.5! wow even a 255 is wider than a 10.5" tire, i guess i always thought a 10.5 was huge guess not, would a larger tire cause more a of a drag/resistance down the track? i know i can get away with a 7" rim using the 255 where the 275 ill deffinitly have to purchase some rims... the junkyards over here are loaded with the grey 5 spoke IROC camaro rims (well last time i went) is there a 8" with the proper amount of backspacing available on a factory car that i could search for in the junkyard?

MEGABU

Top Fueler
Aug 20, 2007
Blue Island, IL
yeah, that 9 is stock width. with a car like yours, you don't need any more tread than it takes to hook up, cuz you're right, more rolling resistance, you pay for it at the top half of the track. my tires are 28.5 x 9 firestones, and they're almost identical in overall size to a 275 60 15, maybe a little taller.
i could fit more, but i'll only go bigger if i need to. i'm willing to work the suspension a little harder rather than stuff huge rubber underneath. maybe one day, when it's goin' 8s, cuz i love what some of these guys are doing with frame notching, it's very cool.
by the way, you absolutely CAN put a 275 60 on a 7" rim. a buddy has a pair of bfg drag radials on old 15x7 torque thrusts on his 51 chevy, and they fit beautifully. the 275 60 has enough sidewall to be very flexible. they'll fit fine on anything from 7-10" wide. you want me to get some pix of that chevy?

SEVNT 9

Dragway Regular
sure i wouldnt mind if it isnt too much of a hassle...wow cant belive you can fit it on a 7" rim is that safe?? summit reccomends no smaller than an 8" rim... i agree with no more tire than i need and plus im on a budget so ill figure something out...eventually ha ha

MEGABU

Top Fueler
Aug 20, 2007
Blue Island, IL
i used to work at super shops(before they went belly up) where i ran the tire dept. when the bfg drag radials 1st came out, we sold tons of 275/60s cuz they were the only tire of its type available at the time. the VAST majority of that size were mouned on factory style 15 x 7 rims, cuz the hardcore musclecar guys jumped all over them. they fit beautifully and i never had any complaints. i'll show you those pix of my buddy's chevy as soon as i can get over there and snap a few.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!