255/70 on 15x10 wheel?

glenh

Amateur Racer
Mar 14, 2008
Olive Hill,Ky
Hey guys.I let my Malibu go and had a time getting a replacement after having sellers remorse,so I've been away for a while.TOO LONG!
Anyway,to get to the point,does anyone have any experience with a 255/70 on a 15x10 with 4.5 backspacing? I just got another Malibu and picked up a nice set of Weld Pro Stars for it in this size/backspacing,with skinnys for the front,of course.
The wheels came with a very nice pair of Mickey Thompson Indy Profiles,but they are N50s.They look awesome,but hit the frame rails(as I knew they would). I'll eventually notch/minitub it,but after the last one,I swore I'd never attemp it again,and I'm not looking forward to it.
Anyone have any thoughts on whether a 255/70 with this wheel will fit without any mods? I'm just trying to drive it a little before I cut into it.My garage time is limited and the car will likely be down a good while once I get started.
For reference,the measurement from the wheel mounting surface of my brake drum to the frame rail is about 1/2 inch LESS than the measurement from the center of my wheel(back side,obviously) to the "bulge" of the tire sidewall with the N50s. I need to lose 1/2 inch to get the tires to just touch the frame rail. I'm hoping the narrower 255/70 will "roll in" enough from the bead toward the tread,to make enough clearance.
For the record,I AM aware that this tire size is recommended for a max wheel width of 8.5 inches. I've saw plenty of them mounted on 10s,on pickups and stuff and not concerned about that.Just hoping some of you guys have tried this so I'll know before I buy tires.
Thanks in advance.
It's good to be back!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts