267, why because thats what is in the car

sevent1nomad

Daily Driver
Mar 28, 2010
tacoma,wa
Is anyone here running a 305 ho cam in a 267.I'm going to put a performer and a q-jet on.While doing this I may as well change the cam.It's a daily driver i dont need a huge cam if not a 305 ho cam I was thinking something like a erson tq 20.I dont want to change valve springs,just something to wake it up a little.Eventually I will put on headers, dual exhaust,and 3.42 or 3.73s.Any feed back would be great

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
Hey Herman!!
How ya doin? Well anyway I'm one misguided soul the has a 267 with a 305HO cam,stock heads & pistons,cast iron holley flange intake with a 600 holley,hei with a curve kit,breathing through Dougs full length headers & Pypes 3" exhaust w/ an X pipe and Pypes Street Pro muffler and then 3" straight out the back,why? Well I drove the car that engine was in from 95,000 miles to 237,000 miles before the car was rusted out and the brakes went out I didn't want to do anything else to it but part it out for the Black interior and other things for the one I have now including the v-8 motor mount and all things v-8,well the little engine still ran great,to many miles to sell it and ran to good to scrap and I needed a v-8 to swap out the v-6 in the 81 so I yanked it apart,clean as a pin inside,no cylinder ridges,crank was perfect so I threw some rings & bearings in it,a 305HO cam,figured it couldn't hurt and of course a four barrel carb etc. Now I can't really tell you how it runs as the car has been apart for a long time as I've been through all kind of trials and tribulations but am attempting to perservere! I can tell you it sounds pretty dern mean for such a little engine and when I wrap the throttle it gives me chicken skin sometimes and makes me remember a 327 I used to have! It must be the exhaust! I hope to have the car together enough to drive it a bit this summer,we shall see! All I can say is go for it! I did and it didn't hurt a thing! Later,KillerDave

sevent1nomad

Daily Driver
Mar 28, 2010
tacoma,wa
Thanks for the info.I decided to go with the 305 HO cam.So we will see what happens

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
This summit cam is what I had in my first engine, a 283. Loved it...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-1102/

But this one would be ok too:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-1101/

79 surfwagon

Frequent Racer
Jun 26, 2006
Texas
I have alot of respect for doing something different. The 267 sounds like a fun project, and it'd be neat to see what type of 1/8mile or 1/4 mile times you get with your cam, intake, headers, exhaust, and gear. I like the #1102 cam streetbu recommends. That was the first one that came to mind when I was reading your post.

Keep the installation clean and sanitary. 267 or 400 small block, it will still be a great enjoyable ride when you've got it all tuned and running like a top.

sevent1nomad

Daily Driver
Mar 28, 2010
tacoma,wa
I got the cam friday.New cam and lifters only $92 what a deal.I did go with the 305 HO

malibu795

Pro Stocker
Apr 17, 2005
spgfd ohio
StreetBu said:
This summit cam is what I had in my first engine, a 283. Loved it...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-1102/

But this one would be ok too:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-1101/
i did the sum-1103 in my 305sbc..

Damon

Pro Stocker
Feb 7, 2005
Philly Area
The 305 HO cam (L69 motor cam) is a decent one. It's got some duration and lift compared to the pathetic cam that came stock in the 267. It's also got a WIDE 115* LSA which means a nice smooth idle. But keep in mind it was built for more cubes and a full point more compression than you've got. I HIGHLY recommend you install it with a 3-keyway timing chain set at the 4* advanced position to preserve as much low end torque as possible in that engine.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts