350 2nd to 3rd issues

dennisM

Amateur Racer
Apr 2, 2009
Bessemer, PA
Long time no see MR friends! Figured i'd ask this here.

Ever since I went to the track last time, this has been occuring.

Nice firm shift from first to second. Second to third is barely there. I usually have to let off the throttle for it to go. Even then, after about 2400, it seems to slip. Not COMPLETELY in neutral, but i have to ease into it to get up to speed.

Things i've checked:
Fluid level
Kickdown cable not bound up
Vac line to modulator not plugged (modulator is only about a year old as well)
Manual shifting has no effect

I have a 2200 stall on it with a cooler as well.

Any ideas?

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
it will need to come apart. Its probably the roller clutch. There is little springs that push on rollers. I recently had the same problem and i had a few broken springs. I would step up to a Coan 36 element sprag for about $295 that should support you up to 600 hp. For maybe $30-50 you can get a hardened sprag race that also repairs a weak link in a turbo 350.
brian

dennisM

Amateur Racer
Apr 2, 2009
Bessemer, PA
I have never been in a transmission other than to change the filter. I assume this is something i should leave up to a shop or someone I know that works on them?

The TH350 is not an overly complicated transmission, but since you're not familiar with the internals of this transmission you should probably leave any repairs to a qualified shop or individual, or at least have someone with some experience there with you to guide you through the repairs if it's something you want to tackle yourself.

dennisM

Amateur Racer
Apr 2, 2009
Bessemer, PA
Bumping this since I now have the trans out and pulled the pan. These magnets were laying in there. I know these weren't there when I installed the trans. I'll be having it rebuilt.

null.jpg

dennisM

Amateur Racer
Apr 2, 2009
Bessemer, PA
Seriously, these were laying in the pan. I have no idea.

IndianaLarry

Amateur Racer
Jul 8, 2010
Crawfordsville,Indiana
I've had rare earth magnets that look just like those. I'm sure they are there to catch any metallic debris in the fluid. Though they should be epoxied in not just lying there just on it's own.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!