? 350 transmission

bukweet

Top Fueler
Mar 22, 2005
Mississippi Gulf Coast
I posted a similar question in Driveline. :roll: Just another day in the life.

It's pushing trans fluid up and out of the transmission dipstick tube!
Easy drive down the road to enjoy the day and it's doing it in less than 1/3 of a mile.
Man that stuff smokes a bunch burning off the headers.
So, what makes it pump the fluid out?

bukweet

A

Anonymous

got to admit, I have never seen this before. I know its pretty obvious but you didnt overfill it did you?

bukweet

Top Fueler
Mar 22, 2005
Mississippi Gulf Coast
It was actually showing to be just a touch low. I hadn't driven it in a couple of weeks so I let it idle, checked the fluid and took off down the road. It felt like it was starting to strain a bit to pull itself, noticed the smoke, saw what was happening and put it back in the driveway. Didn't go much more than 1/2 mile total. Can't remember this ever happening to me in my 56 years.
Always something new to learn.

:-k

bukweet

dev1360

Frequent Racer
Dec 22, 2006
East Alton, IL
This happened to me also, i have no idea what causes it or why it stopped the same way it started. shrug.gif

bukweet

Top Fueler
Mar 22, 2005
Mississippi Gulf Coast
A friend suggested maybe the "dirt dobbers" we have here maybe nested in the trans vent.

Suppose it's worth crawling under it to find out. Don't these things vent out of the top of the case somewhere?

I've put 'em in and taken 'em out but I don't understand the automatic transmission.

bukweet

dev1360

Frequent Racer
Dec 22, 2006
East Alton, IL
Thats it! lol Now i remember, it was my vent that was clogged, it had a little dirt in it. Its a small metal tube out of the top passenger side i believe.

C LOWERY

Frequent Racer
Nov 2, 2004
Bates City, MO
Clogged vent will cause this for sure. The vent is going to be hard to reach with the trans in the car.
A racing buddy of mine had this happen at the track a few weeks ago. He took the car home dropped the trans down and was able to blow out some debris with compressed air. I am not saying this is a GREAT idea; but it worked for him. You might ask a transmission guy if compressed air through the vent will cause any harm internally.

bukweet

Top Fueler
Mar 22, 2005
Mississippi Gulf Coast
I'll check it this weekend. It's in a 85 GMC 1/2 ton so maybe it will be a bit easier to get to.

I'll let ya know what I find. I'll be wearing some thick gloves the first time my hand goes up there.
Lots of flying and crawling things that bite live down here.

bukweet

bigg502

Daily Driver
Sep 27, 2008
Loretto, Ky
I had the exact same thing happen to me I never could get it right I drained fluid and restarted fill up again a couple of times and cleaned out the vent tube while it idled no problem drive it for a couple of miniutes fluid everywere I finally fixed the problem

A 4 SPEED MANUAL NO MORE PROBLEMS IN A TRUCK THOUGH

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!