4-speed worth looking at?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com

Does anyone know if the parts in this would be salvageable by a shop? I'm on the lookout for gears and if I can get this guy to a decent price (and the gears are correct) I may finally have found what I need... trying to keep costs down on this until I can afford a stronger trans.

Last edited by a moderator:

kevind

Dragway Regular
Jan 7, 2009
Whitley City KY
If they're not pitted, chipped or otherwise worn. What are you trying to do exactly?

kevind

Dragway Regular
Jan 7, 2009
Whitley City KY
They're not to hard to rebuild. Maybe cheaper to buy a good trans. If its making noise in 4th you may have a bearing issues. ( 4th should by pass the cluster)

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I've been trying to keep a watch out for someone with a T56 for a decent price, but the junkyards all have rebuilt units or want a big core charge, and the few that I've found on Craigslist all have owners that thing they're made of gold... most recent is one with 115k and the seller wants $2500... a brand new T56 Magnum is $3000.

kevind

Dragway Regular
Jan 7, 2009
Whitley City KY
I had a bone stock 06 GTO with a T56 nothing but problems GM fixed under warranty once I fixed it 2 or 3 more times. It never shifted great. My Malibu has a TKO 600 no comparison to the T56 it shifts easier smoother and more positive feeling. I've seen some used TKO's for $1200 to $1300

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
The pictures are not that good, but it may be a 3 speed.

Look for the number of rings on the input shaft; with your torque, you should not get a 3.5 or 3.11 first gear; you need a 2.85 or 2.54 first gear Saginaw.

Look closely at the clutch teeth on the gear; they should look nice and sharp. If the are rounded, the gear will need to be replaced. You can have a look at pictures of a new gear on eBay for comparison.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
3.5:1 is what I have right now, it complements the 2.29 fairly nicely, gearing is similar to a 2004R/3.42 setup.

I'm pretty sure a few of those pics are examples I loaded from your site to keep for reference, in case I ever didn't have/couldn't find a G-Body bellhousing. The pics in there are of the 4-speed when I first got it. I've rarely (if ever) ground a gear, and I never go straight to reverse from neutral... granted the idler is messed up now anyway... last I checked (after it started making noise) everything still looked ok far as I could tell besides the chipped gears.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Now that I'm looking, one of the first few listed is a cleaned cluster that will work in mine... might just go that route or find one that might be a little cheaper... I was considering one of the new gear kits online, but those are like $350 for something like 2nd, 3rd, the input and the cluster, where I'm pretty sure I just need the cluster and reverse idler, and would go with a full rebuild kit to be safe.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts