402 big block question

A

Anonymous

Well as I posted in the gallery, I bought an old chevy to haul the trailer down the road to the track.

Anyways, the motors got roughly 40 000 miles on it and is a 72.

The thing runs really well and I really dont wanna put money into the engine if it works.
Im gonna rebuild the transmission but what can I do to breathe some new life into this motor?

I think Im going to put a gasket kit in it but is there any other little tricks you guys are aware of?
This thing will be busting my cherry for working on big blocks.

I know well enough to steer far and clear of the motor flush crap.

crd89stang

Dragway Regular
Jun 19, 2005
attleboro ma
if you are going to pull it out to gasket it pull a couple caps and check bearings. a timing chain would be a good idea as well.

79malibusbc

Dragway Regular
Aug 21, 2007
old bridge new jersey
crd89stang said:
if you are going to pull it out to gasket it pull a couple caps and check bearings. a timing chain would be a good idea as well.

x2 plus an oil pump. if you want it to have more power change the intake and carb and slap on a set of headers and duel exhaust with turbo mufflers

redneckerson

Frequent Racer
Nov 20, 2007
Kansas City Area
I have a 1971 402 in my 1969 C10. It is a stock bottom end with a set of headers, a different iron factory intake, my original was the low rise factory intake and I had a spare intake that sat a little taller, I have a Competition Cam that is one step up from stock, Edlebrock Carb and an HEI distributor. The pickup runs very very well.

My recommendation would be oil pump, timing chain, valve seals, intake, headers and an HEI distributor. You should probably change out your valve seals, they certainly have to be hard and will potentially let oil pass.
v/r Gene

A

Anonymous

It blows some pretty dark smoke on a cold start up but after I warmed it up it was perfect....not burning any oil at all.

I drove the thing 5 hours to get home after it had been sitting in a barn for quite a few years....I was suprised how well the drivetrain held up, not suprised by the tire blow out. I paid the tire/tow guy 241 bucks and I was on my way :roll: .
After I got a new set of rears on I put my foot into it a little more, it really likes 80mph with tons left over.

I noticed it has true duals with manifolds aswell.

Did those 402's all come with 4bbl carbs? Its a good thing I only have a short distance Im trailering because its brutal on gas.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts