5.3 differences?

A

Anonymous

What is the difference between a 5.3 truck motor and a 5.3 Monte carlo motor? is just cams and comp? I found a truck 5.3's for 800.00 or so but, The monte carlo ones are 1400.00 or so. What gives?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
The intake may be different, accessories are probably different, but the long block should be the same, plus they may have DoD, I'm not sure when/if that started on the Montes.

Oh yeah, coming from a Monte it's out of an SS, so it has<i></i> to be worth more :roll:

knievel

Amateur Racer
Aug 5, 2007
Hillsdale , MI
I also think that the 5.3 ls4 has the 60* trans bolt pattern

malibuplotter said:
whats the diff between a 5.3 and 4.8 (internaly or course) is it stroke or bore?

Stroke is different
They use the same block with the same bore

malibuplotter

Dragway Regular
Apr 11, 2005
layton utah
knievel said:
I also think that the 5.3 ls4 has the 60* trans bolt pattern

malibuplotter said:
whats the diff between a 5.3 and 4.8 (internaly or course) is it stroke or bore?

Stroke is different
They use the same block with the same bore

thanks, is the block stamped 4.8 or 5.3 on the back by the trans?, the gp and mc's run pretty good with the 5.3 i can certainly understand the logic behind the 60* trans mounts, i can't think of a current fwd car that would have a 90* motor, and the general sure wouldn't retool for a limited run car.

BMR Sales

Frequent Racer
Nov 20, 2008
Should be on the front to the bottom right of the water pump. It will have

4.8/

cast on the block and have a blue dot next to the displacement it is.

Like this
l_6dd5478c4d2d40d88d3cd1d7ccb9eb26.jpg

Glatt

Daily Driver
Nov 13, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
The LS4 is an aluminum block 5.3 with LS6 cylinder heads. I am not sure about differences in block dimensions, but I know the crankshaft is supposed to be different than the standard 5.3. I wouldn't think this would be a good motor to start with if you want to do alot of performance upgrades. There is an aluminum block 5.3 available if you want aluminum. They came in the 1500 series trucks. I think its called an L33?

Arthur

BMR Sales

Frequent Racer
Nov 20, 2008
RegalLS said:
The LS4 is an aluminum block 5.3 with LS6 cylinder heads. I am not sure about differences in block dimensions, but I know the crankshaft is supposed to be different than the standard 5.3. I wouldn't think this would be a good motor to start with if you want to do alot of performance upgrades. There is an aluminum block 5.3 available if you want aluminum. They came in the 1500 series trucks. I think its called an L33?

Arthur
Yes the LM4 and L33 are both aluminum versions of the LM7

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!