6.0 ... upgrading cam but dont know what

kc816

Apr 6, 2010
i don know what to look for.. want one with a noticable lope. will be going spray and 317 heads with upgraded springs.. street car with power.. any suggestions? always here ls2 cam cause you can find em cheap, but i wantg one with a better sounding lope.

LT1_Malibu

Amateur Racer
Jan 19, 2006
Greenup, Kentucky
Check out Texas Speed&Performance or look up any aftermarket cam companies really. There's probably over a dozen different companies that make cams for a LSx engine and they're all around the same price really. I know a few friends have used the G5X3 and G5X4 cam and have made good numbers on a stock short block and factory heads 5.7L.

The only issue is you said you upgraded springs? What did you use? The reason I ask is all of the cams I mentioned require a pretty hefty valve spring. Like a comp 918 or the Patriot Performance Gold series.

kc816

Apr 6, 2010
well when it comes to cams, im soooo lost. i hae no idea what to lok for and dont know how to determine whats god compared to bad. yet alone what number to look for that wll determine the lope. and on the heads, i havet touched them yet. jus read that its best to upgrade to better springs.

LT1_Malibu

Amateur Racer
Jan 19, 2006
Greenup, Kentucky
kc816 said:
well when it comes to cams, im soooo lost. i hae no idea what to lok for and dont know how to determine whats god compared to bad. yet alone what number to look for that wll determine the lope. and on the heads, i havet touched them yet. jus read that its best to upgrade to better springs.

As far as stock heads, they're not bad at all, but wouldn't hurt to find a set of 243 casting # heads or just have yours ported. As far as the lope sound of the cam, just about any aftermarket cam will make some noise \:D/ .

As far as good and bad cams.....Well, I would ask around on LS1tech.com and see what people are running with your particular setup and whats making the best #'s really.
The smaller lift cams like just barely over .500 lift, I would stay away from if you wanting to make more power have have better sound, but they do offer better all around street manners though.

Examples of good mild manner cams: LS6, GM Hot Cam, or any cam with a duration in the 22x/22x range give or take.

Bigger cams are like the ones I mentioned in my first post like the Magic stick series, G5's, bigger Comp grinds, and so on. Most of these cams are around or over .600 lift.

my80bu

Weekend Racer
Oct 5, 2008
Belvidere IL
check out tick-performance.com they have a cam called the polluter. bad *ss cam for the money

Stangboy

Dragway Regular
Jan 27, 2004
Ky
G5X3 and thank me later.....

LT1_Malibu

Amateur Racer
Jan 19, 2006
Greenup, Kentucky
Stangboy said:

Those are really good cams. =D>

All of the G5Xx are pretty good. Watch the G5X4, I think its pretty close on piston to valve clearance with stock heads but I'm not 100% for sure though.

kc816

Apr 6, 2010
Stangboy said:

i looked on there site, its 8 different one of those. picking the right one is where i get confused at.
http://www.cincyperformancestore.com/lg-motorsports-cam.html
also rwad that the comp 918 springs have been known not to work.. any suggestions?

LT1_Malibu

Amateur Racer
Jan 19, 2006
Greenup, Kentucky
kc816 said:
Stangboy said:

i looked on there site, its 8 different one of those. picking the right one is where i get confused at.
http://www.cincyperformancestore.com/lg-motorsports-cam.html
also rwad that the comp 918 springs have been known not to work.. any suggestions?

Try Patriot Golds. I know tons of people that use them.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts