7.5 Pinion Gear Shim

richamer1

Frequent Racer
Oct 17, 2004
New Carlisle, Oh
Here is my problem I am putting a 3.73 Posi in my stock housing of my 80 Bu. When I tighten the pinion nut I can still move the shaft about a 1/16 up and down and front and back. With it out of the car I made sure the nut would bottom out and the yoke. I told NAPA to take the shim from the old pinion shaft and put it on the new one. All the bearings are new. I think there is a shim under the new bearing but I cannot be 100% sure. Assuming it is could I just need a thicker shim ? Where can you buy the shims I did not see them listed with any of the local places ?

richamer1

Frequent Racer
Oct 17, 2004
New Carlisle, Oh
I was assuming when I tightened the pinion nut that the bearing on the yoke side was going to be pressed down against the sleeve. The sleeve is new and the same height as the old one. Thank you for reply.
t5montecarlo said:
You don't mention a crush sleeve. If you installed a new crush sleeve, the pinion will be loose until crushed to spec.

DREW78BU

Amateur Racer
Mar 13, 2005
HOUMA, LA.
myspace.com
You have to crush the new sleeve. Its kind of a PITA! Especially if you don't have a good impact. I'm not sure of the spec But I think you want 15 inch pounds of rotational drag.

richamer1

Frequent Racer
Oct 17, 2004
New Carlisle, Oh
Now I am starting to think more about the sleeve. When I removed the old pinion it went flying. I should of put the cover back on with a couple of bolts. On reassembly of the yoke side of the shaft I put the sleeve under the bearing then tightened the pinion nut down on the yoke. I know this dumb but does the sleeve maybe go on top of the bearing in between the yoke and the bearing? Like I said it went flying.
DREW78BU said:
You have to crush the new sleeve. Its kind of a PITA! Especially if you don't have a good impact. I'm not sure of the spec But I think you want 15 inch pounds of rotational drag.

DREW78BU

Amateur Racer
Mar 13, 2005
HOUMA, LA.
myspace.com
The crush sleeve goes between the 2 bearings. If you look at it the crush sleeve fits perfect on the pinion gear. I looked the specs up. The rotating torque of the drive pinion should be (15-30 lb in) for new bearings or (10-25 lb in) for used bearings.

Its just gonna be hard to collapse the new crush sleeve.

richamer1

Frequent Racer
Oct 17, 2004
New Carlisle, Oh
Ok so it sounds like I had it together correctly. I think what I hear you saying is my impact is just not tightening the nut tight enough. Any suggestions on how to hold the pinion and tighten it with a breaker bar. Thanks for all the help.
DREW78BU said:
The crush sleeve goes between the 2 bearings. If you look at it the crush sleeve fits perfect on the pinion gear. I looked the specs up. The rotating torque of the drive pinion should be (15-30 lb in) for new bearings or (10-25 lb in) for used bearings.

Its just gonna be hard to collapse the new crush sleeve.

A

Anonymous

To hold the yoke get a big pipe wrench or a big crescent and brace it against the floor then tighten the pinion nut to spec if you get it too tight you could ruin your new bearings.

DREW78BU

Amateur Racer
Mar 13, 2005
HOUMA, LA.
myspace.com
X2. Get a big pipe wrench to hold the yoke. Or get a bigger impact. Mine will crush the sleeve but it takes a little while. I usually tighten the nut till all the slop is out of it. Then its baby steps till you get the right preload.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts