8.5 10 bolt LPW support cover and axle tube brace kit

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
going to be getting an aluminum support cover for my 8.5" rearend over the winter, and was looking at the LPW offerings. they offer the axle tube brace kit as an option as well. I'm wondering how effective it is (the brace kit), and is it worth the money and added weight? anyone have this setup, and by chance pics of it installed? thanks in advance.

edit:

here's a link to the setup installed:

for some reason, I can't get my mind around the fact that it's mounted with heim joints, which to me means it would allow some movement on each end....meaning it's not really doing anything other than looking cool. am I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
Here is my opinion. I ran the LPW kit on my 12 bolt. If you have stock location lower arms on the rear, the brace will do nothing. The ends of the housing want to pull forward under acceleration. But if the arms are in the stock location, the ends of the rear are supported. It can't really flex. When you set it up, it should have a decent amount of tension pulling it back, so even with the heim joints they will be loaded.

In my case, I was running ladder bars with the stock length rear. So I had a decent amount of unsupported housing outboard of the ladder bars to flex. And flex it did. The supplied brace tube broke, and I had to buy larger diameter chromoly tubes to support the rear. This was going low 1.40's in 60' with an almost 3400 lbs car.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!