8.5 Rear with BrokenPinion Shaft Lock Bolt

gmtofd

Dragway Regular
Jul 16, 2004
Central Jersey
Was going to change the axle seals on my 8.5 and notice that the pinion shaft lock bolt is broken where it fractured at the bottom of the threaded portion of the bolt, so that sort of put a hold on doing anything until the rest of the bolt is removed.

Wondering if anyone has an idea of how to remove the rest of the bolt?

Thanks for any responses

axisg

Frequent Racer
May 13, 2008
YYZ ( Toronto )
you could be in for trouble. It was/is a poor design. If it broke off smooth you may be able to use an easy out, if it broke off rough I have heard of tapping them out with a wee small punch then using loc-tite when re-installing ( make sure you run a reamer thru the threads to clean up the dinged up threads before re-insalling if you use the punch method )

gmtofd

Dragway Regular
Jul 16, 2004
Central Jersey
Yes, thanks for the response. Doing a google search came up with Fabbri Associates that came up with a purpose made extraction kit for this sort of problem. Talking to a couple of Buick GN guys, they were saying that they always have a new shaft lock bolt on hand when they do any of work on the rear.

gmtofd

Dragway Regular
Jul 16, 2004
Central Jersey
Was able to get the rest of the bolt out with a small punch. Was going to center punch and drill a small hole as a place for placing a pick, but just angling the center punch unscrewed it. Thank God.

Brian79

Frequent Racer
Aug 21, 2008
Wataga, IL
Good for you. I had the same thing happen to me and no one knew how to remove it so I had to replace the whole rearend. That cost me. Lesson learned

gmtofd

Dragway Regular
Jul 16, 2004
Central Jersey
The only concern is that the same thing may happen to the replacement pin/bolt, the next time.

From what I read on the Fabbri web site, (they sell a tool kit for removing a broken pinion lock bolt), theres a cyclical motion of the pinion cross shaft that stresses and fractures the pin lock bolt.

Wish I still worked at SPS technologies in Jenkintown, PA. Would make up something to solve the problem.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!