8.8 IN A GBODY PICS?

A

Anonymous

I have read a few of the threads about this swap and will be sliding one under my Malibu to eyeball it myself but was wondering if anyone has any pics of this swap or more info on the kits that was to come about. Thanks Chad

A

Anonymous

Nobody has any info on this swap? I hear of people having them in there cars. whats the skinny? Is this a cut all the brakets off and start fresh or does it swap in like the 12 bolt with just arms?

427cutlass

Amateur Racer
Jan 4, 2005
i put one in my cutty... cut off existing brackets, welded brackets on from donar rear, then formed 3/8 plate to go over the center section,made upper bushing mounts...fairly easy swap if you have a PROPER WELDER.

cheers ryan

gdnf2et

Weekend Racer
Jan 2, 2007
Va Beach, VA
Your gonna have to register to see the pics..Takes all of two minutes..
http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

A

Anonymous

So one out of a mustang is a basic bolt in deal Other then a little spring perch add. I kiped the pics and here they are.

88-7.jpg

88-6.jpg

88-5.jpg

88-4.jpg

88-3.jpg

88-2.jpg

88.jpg

slimbo

May 21, 2007
www.yellowbullet.com
is the 8.8 much stronger than the 7.5? i had a buddy that ran a 90 gt with a 5 speed and used to tweak those axles when he was running mid 12's

427cutlass

Amateur Racer
Jan 4, 2005
ya i used an 8.8 from a ford explorer they have 31 spline axles.. the mustang ones only have 28 spline axles.... the explorer diffs also have 3.55-4.11 gears, some have posi and disc brakes as well

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
My main concern with this swap is the instant center. With the ears on the housing that low, your IC is out somewhere in no man's land. They need to offer a kit with a way to relocate the uppers like companies such as Team Z or Baseline do for the Mustang crowd.

A

Anonymous

427cutlass said:
ya i used an 8.8 from a ford explorer they have 31 spline axles.. the mustang ones only have 28 spline axles.... the explorer diffs also have 3.55-4.11 gears, some have posi and disc brakes as well
You can use a drum brake rear out of a Mustang and those 31 spline lockers are a dime a dozen and get a set of axles. Thats my plan anyways i have a couple drum 8.8s and a Mercury Mountaineer rear to get the locker out of and buy a set of axles. I am for sure doing this swap in the near future just getting some info.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts