81 malibu wiring issue(left turn and left brake light)

A

Anonymous

I am new to this forum, and I have an 81 malibu that I have ran through a million times to figure out why my left rear turn and brake signal wont work. I have running lights all around and when I turn the blinker on it wont flash in the rear, just the rear, and it wont get brighter when the brake is hit. I have checked everything! I checked all wiring in the back for signal, replaced the flashers, fuses, and bulbs a bunch of times. So if anybody has any idea what the problem could be let me know, because I am at odds ends trying to figure it out, thanks!

There she be....

http://img22.imageshack.us/i/img1307jfw.jpg/

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
welcome_sign.gif to the site. Nice looking bu! get your test light and start poking the wires to see where you have power at, you may have a break in the wire. Check your grounds.

80montecarlo

Dragway Regular
Apr 24, 2008
cloverdale b.c. canada
there is a grtound on the floor on the d/s make sure it is connected if not no worky

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
Def sounds like a ground problem. Try pushing the brake pedal down and holding it with something. Get a jumper wire connect one end of it to a known good ground (chrome bumpers work great) touch the other end of the jumper to the upper part of the brass outer case of the bulb if the bulb gets bright you most likely have a bad socket. If the other brake light is working the ground source is probably ok because in MOST cases all the rear bulbs ground at the same place.

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL
The problem could be as far forward as the steering column. The brake and turn signals run through the turn signal and hazard switch in the column. The schematics are available on this site. Get a test light and start testing for power and grounds. Good luck, Lee

TNTS79

Dragway Regular
Jan 6, 2006
Illiniois
Check the wires under the steering column,(just above the under column interior panel) I had a similar problem awhile back and mine was multi-wire connector at the steering column! Start there and see whats up.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts