82 wagon front springs

dmull

Dec 9, 2013
Ive read a lot of the past posts concerning springs. Im looking for some input on front springs for the 82 wagon im working on. it has an iron headed small block, manual brakes, manual steering, AC/heater box has been removed. It will be a footbrake drag car. I installed 5598 springs which are the listed spring for a v6 non ac 82 wagon. They seem to be a little stiff. I only have about an inch of extension or upward travel before the upper control arm hits the frame. The lower control arm is not level, the ball joint end is about 2.5" lower than the inner mounted end. Id like to see it drop about 2 inches. I think that would keep the shocks (comp engineering 2600) within their operating range also. Im thinking Ill have to cut a coil to get where I need to be. Thanks for any input or experiences anyone can provide.

Grcrygtr44

Frequent Racer
Feb 1, 2013
Ontario Ny
I used the same springs in my 78 wagon & I had the same problem. I also have aluminum headed sbc, tubular core support and a arms. I took 1/2 a coil off the new springs and it was real close but the upper a arms were still pitched slightly downward, I left it alone becuz I knew that after about a month of racing the springs will settle a little, and that's exactly what they did. Sits right where I wanted it to now. Oh & btw, that 1/2 coil lowered front a solid 1 inch.

dmull

Dec 9, 2013
Ok thanks that is helpful. I guess I'll just cut half a coil initially. Hopefully it will settle a bit more over time.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts