90/10's on a daily driver

Tip

Weekend Racer
Jul 14, 2010
Hey, fellas! I'm setting my 81 4 door Mali up for next months G body shoot out. I Google searched and read threads on here about "pitchy" handling, but I wanna here from G body drivers themselves about it. I'm leaning towards 3 way adjustables and hooking up the front sway bar to balance things from street to track if possible. Im running a slighty built vortec 350, 2100 stall, 3.55 gears w/Auburn posi. btw. Thanks guys

Malibuwagon80

Dragway Regular
Aug 8, 2007
North Jersey
You don't have to go 90/10 you can also go 80/20 or 70/30. Make it a little more street friendly.

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
I drive mine whenever the sun is out and there is no rain/snow in the day's forecast. It has 90/10's up front and 50/50's in the rear. The shocks didn't seem so bad to adjust before I put them in but I'd bet they'd be a pain in the *ss if I wanted to change them. They are just the Summit ones (Doetsch Tech). It drives fairly decent too.

Now driving on them with no front sway bar is like driving a 100ft boat.

HP JUNKEY

Dragway Regular
Oct 30, 2008
Buffalo.NY
I run Comp. Engineering 3 way adj. set at 90-10 in the front, no sway bar and KYB Gas Adjust shocks in the rear on the street, as long as you don't drive like your in a road rally or take a turn at 50 you should be good. My Bu drives decent, I have had to swerve a couple of times to avoid some morons cutting in front of me and was able to keep control, no problem.

UMI Sales

Amateur Racer
Jan 6, 2009
Tip said:
Hey, fellas! I'm setting my 81 4 door Mali up for next months G body shoot out. I Google searched and read threads on here about "pitchy" handling, but I wanna here from G body drivers themselves about it. I'm leaning towards 3 way adjustables and hooking up the front sway bar to balance things from street to track if possible. Im running a slighty built vortec 350, 2100 stall, 3.55 gears w/Auburn posi. btw. Thanks guys

Which 3 way adjustables are you looking at? Drag shocks on all four or just the front?

The cars get pitchy because the rebound is so soft on the front.

The main thing I've found when driving a drag car on the street is to be aware that things are gonna be different. Once you get used to smooth steering inputs so you don't upset the car, it's not so bad.

ramey

Tip

Weekend Racer
Jul 14, 2010
I went ahead an ordered tha Summit 3 ways for tha front, stocks on tha rear. I also have a sway bar on tha rear too. Yeah I'm pretty cautious on tha street and I baby it half tha time. When they get here I'll see how they do with tha sway bar on @ tha 90/10 setting.

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
Like mentioned as long as you get used to the way it handles and don't try and act like your on an autocross track the first time out, you will see it's not bad at all. Honestly I don't know if you will really feel a difference with the sway bars still on the car. It all depends what shocks you have now I guess.

Let us know what you think and how much better/worse the car launches

Tip

Weekend Racer
Jul 14, 2010
I rode bout a month w/o tha front sway bar and it was "boatish", but like i told my momma, "Its a street cruiser and a track brusier", lol! I'll keep yall posted. :awesome:

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts