98 S-10 CLUSTER ?'S-GM Tech's

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
So I have a 98 S-10 with out a tach and wanted to switch to a cluster with a tach. Already tried just to see if it would work, Some of it does. The speedo, tach, oil pressure and volt gauges work, nothing else does. I talked to a tech/friend at the local chevy dealership and he had no idea. Does anyone here? I know they(dealer) program the mileage into the cluster, but that's it. Can it even be done?

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Do you have the wiring diagrams for a 98 S-10 with and with out a tach to verify all wires are present and in the proper order in the connector? That wou8ld help me alot :D

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
StreetBu said:
Do you have the wiring diagrams for a 98 S-10 with and with out a tach to verify all wires are present and in the proper order in the connector? That wou8ld help me alot :D
No I dont sorry .

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
So I just got the wiring diagrams, There is no difference in the way it's wired with either cluster, all s-10's have the same wires in the same locations. So it is only a programming issue I have to overcome to make the "new" cluster w/tach to work. Will a Tech2 be able to program the cluster correctly?

Damon

Pro Stocker
Feb 7, 2005
Philly Area
Does your coil even have a tach wire coming off of it? I tend to doubt it does. Look at the 2-wire connector attached to the coil that goes back to the vehicle wiring harness (not the other coil connector that goes to the distributor). It will have a big pink wire (12V+ for coil power) but there is also a smaller white wire coming out of that connector that is the tach signal wire. Often there is just a short pigtail connected to nothing in cars that came without a factory tach. That's probably what you need to attach to the appropriate connection point on the new gague cluster.

The ECM doesn't run the tach. It's still run "old school" with a connection directly off the coil, just like cars from decades past.

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
When I swapped the cluster just to try it and see if it may work, the tach works. ALL wiring is the same on the truck no matter which cluster it was made with. So it is only a programming issue, just a matter of who has to program it-whether a gm dealership can do it with the TECH2 scan tool or if I HAVE to take to a cluster repair facility. I do have one about 25 miles away from me, but they want $150 to reprogram the cluster and couldnt guarantee me that it would work properly :x since it was a swap not an original style cluster.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts