98 s10 brakes - yes yes?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
That's my understanding, I'm planning on doing it. dwkohout's Cardomain page has pics, at least of the rear. But the turbo Buick forums have good info on this, along with F-Body/C5 setups. I think a C5 setup would be sweet (partially for the 'I have Vette brakes' cool factor), but the Blazer brakes would be much more of a bolt-on deal because you don't have to buy new arms.

I guess I should have asked if you were talking about the dual-piston Blazer brakes, huh? :lol:

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
78 uses different bearing sizes. 79 and up are the same, 78 will work if you use later spindles.

Tony_SS

MalibuRacing Junkie
Apr 21, 2004
Washington, MO
www.mac-ink.com
Im just going to use the whole spindle and setup from a 98 s10. dual caliper 11" rotor. I'm taking the whole setup so the 78 spindle shouldnt matter...eh?? Just want to make sure though... I wouldn't think so since it'll the whole 78 spindle will be replaced...

From what I understand its a bolt-on replacement...just have to fit the brake line..

If it works out it'll be perfect..guy only wants $120 for complete setup down the street.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Those spindles are different from everything I've seen, the bearing hub bolts to the spindle. $120??? Holy cow! Get it! If the bearings are good you're way ahead :shock: They're like $200+ new. What I may do is just get a good pair of hubs from the junkyard, and buy a set of 2" drop spindles for '98+ Blazers, then go with a set of 1" springs, because from what I saw of cutlaSS's wagon 2" won't be enough. That & some 1" springs for the back & we should be all set :D

wiseman79

Top Fueler
Dec 18, 2004
Central Virginia
www.performancetech.net
Tony_SS said:
Any way to tell if the bearings are bad though???

I know they are $200 a side if they are...that's the part I don't like about the whole swap.
That's what derailed my plans on this swap last year. You gotta roll the dice and hope the bearings are good on day one, or will last long enough to get your money's worth. If the bearings go bad then you could've gone new/aftemarket with the money you've got wrapped up in the swap.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I think checking by hand would probably be the only reasonable method with a junkyard part. Just making sure they move smoothly, don't make any noise, don't have a lot/any play, etc. If I get the whole setup, I may take a dial caliper with me to check the thickness of the rotor before I buy, same with the rear.

BuWaGone

Amateur Racer
May 22, 2003
Hawaii
I just did the Blazer swap and it was a straight R&R but I also installed braided steel brake lines. I scored the complete set up with Belltech drop spindles for $240 and I work in a GM parts department so replacemnt parts are cheap. But back to the swap, I'm running 3.5 Welds in the front til I can afford some nice 18s and the rims are rubbing the calipers alittle but a 1/16" spacer would solve the problem. Now I just have to rebuild the rest of the front end.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!