AC/heater box with a 5.3

4RCEPWRD

Aug 10, 2009
In a galaxy far, far away....
I'm in the process of stripping down the engine bay of my 79 malibu to clean it up and get it ready for paint before starting a 5.3 swap. I've got a couple questions. First, how the heck do I remove the AC/heater box? I've removed the fender skirt, and I've removed all the bolts on the outside around the box. I disconnected the wiring from under the dash, but when I try to remove it it still seems like its hanging up around the heater core. Is there something I'm missing? Maybe some more wiring connections? Is there anything that has to be unbolted from inside the car? Second question is that I really want to keep the AC when I do my swap since its going to be my DD, is the original AC/heater box the only thing I can use when doing a swap, or is there another box that I can use in its place for AC/heat? The reason I ask is that I'm really trying to be careful not to tear up the one that I'm trying to remove, and it almost seems like there might be some clearance issues when swapping in the 5.3.

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
I can't answer all the questions, but I've got teh 6.0L truck motor, and had no clearance issues with teh a/c heater box. I didn't re hook up my a/c though, but if you've got a truck motor your going to probably want to grab this:

http://www.kwikperf.com/lsx_ac.html

This relocates it so you don't have to notch teh frame, I'd recommend also getting the front end accesorries from a camaro, or a corvette, but you'd have to talk to boosted lq9 about the corvette acces. and where the a/c sits. I don't run a/c and my cab doesn't get that warm. To each their own though, but if you run them you may want to upgrade the radiator and the cooling fans to electric fans.

85MonteCoupe

Daily Driver
Dec 30, 2008
Columbus, Indiana
I have a 85 monte carlo, but I think its the same. You will prolly first have to remove your windshield wiper arms and then the chrome trim around the lower part of the windshield. Be careful with this, remove the screws in the bottom of it first, then slide it down towards the heater box and out. Again be VERY careful as it can bend easily. Then there are a couple bolts hidden up under there to take out. I then removed the top of the heater box. Then you can get easier access to the rest. I didnt remove the whole box, just the top, then I notched the box close to the heater core and fiberglassed it in. Then painted everything and put it all back together.

Hope this helps.

Jason,

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!