Adding headers with factory air.

unclepudge

Frequent Racer
Apr 17, 2006
CT
Hi Guys, I have an 81 Malibu Wagon I did a V6 TO V8 350 engine swap with headers and was thinking of hooking up the factory air, did anyone have to make special brackets or spacers for it to all line up properly,thanks.

axisg

Frequent Racer
May 13, 2008
YYZ ( Toronto )
When using the stock exhaust manifolds GM used a bracket to attach the back of the compressor to the head. The orig bracket has 2 holes which bolt to both sides of the #1 cyl. That bracket will need to be cut to remove the 2nd mounting point and only bolt to the front hole in the head.

This is the only pic I could find where it kinda shows where the bracket was cut and only the 1 bolt attaches it to the head.

04-06-09_0815-1.jpg

That and moving the plastic AC ball on the PS are the only 2 mods I made when adding headers while retaining the AC

unclepudge

Frequent Racer
Apr 17, 2006
CT
OK thanks for the info.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
You can also enlarge the gap between the bolts and use both bolt holes, instead of cutting the bracket. It depends upon the tube size and the specific header.

The bracket needed no modification for Edelbrock TES, but needed modification for Hedman 68311 (both 1.5-inch primaries).

Damon

Pro Stocker
Feb 7, 2005
Philly Area
Agreed. Cutting one "leg" off the A/C bracket and using a spacer is fairly common practice with header installs. If you can make it fit using both "legs", then do so. But don't freak out if you have to chop one off. Not that big a deal.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts