Aftermarket Wheel Studs

nawlins-tim

Frequent Racer
Jan 28, 2010
New Orleans, Louisiana
After putting some Weld Draglites with I think a 3/8 spacer behind them my wheel stud is way down in the rim. A quick fix was to get long LUGS. but that does not seem like the safest way to go. Most real racers use long studs. Would any of you guys know how to pick the correct length and knurl sizee for a stock 1985 8.5 t-type rear? What did you do? I have a little power and if I ever halfway Hook-up I may do some damage. What to do? thanks

bbc-olds

Frequent Racer
Jun 7, 2008
Malin OR
ARP has 12mm x 1.50 long studs listed for late Camaro etc. Length of 2.5 and 3.5 Summit has 2.5 long under their brand. Should be the same for G body cars. Used them on the front of my cutlass.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/Part-Type/Wheel-Studs/Wheel-Stud-Style/Press-in/Thread-Size/12mm-x-1-50-RH/Knurl-Diameter/0-509-in/?keyword=wheel+studs

nawlins-tim

Frequent Racer
Jan 28, 2010
New Orleans, Louisiana
bbc-olds said:
ARP has 12mm x 1.50 long studs listed for late Camaro etc. Length of 2.5 and 3.5 Summit has 2.5 long under their brand. Should be the same for G body cars. Used them on the front of my cutlass.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/Part-Type/Wheel-Studs/Wheel-Stud-Style/Press-in/Thread-Size/12mm-x-1-50-RH/Knurl-Diameter/0-509-in/?keyword=wheel+studs
But what rims were you useing? and what length would bring me out to a safer length?

bbc-olds

Frequent Racer
Jun 7, 2008
Malin OR
Was using draglites. either will work. I would buy the long ones and short'n them to length. Or use open ended lugnuts. The short ones might work with closed lug nuts.

nawlins-tim

Frequent Racer
Jan 28, 2010
New Orleans, Louisiana
Thanks for the info, but one last question is how do you remove the old ones? I didn't want to beat them out and but what about cutting the old ones down to the axle and then drilling the remaining piece?
What is the Easiest meathod for removal of the old wheel studs?????

lurchsmalibu

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2005
Lakeland, Florida
Beating them out tends to be easy, drilling them out will more than likely take a chance of damaging the knurl and would still have to beat them out, unless you go with thread in studs and that's a different story.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
I would have them pressed out & the new ones pressed in. If you do the front rotors it's advisable to have them recut afterwards as pressing in the studs sometimes warps the rotor.

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts