aftermarket wiring harness, or not???

abigda

Frequent Racer
May 19, 2007
Springfield, MA
For the last couple of weeks i've been trying to figure out how to whats wrong with the underdash harness on my car. For one I cut out the factory comp and all related wires, but then found a 90's alarm installed, so i cut the out too. prob is that i have no dash lights, turn signals, or brake lights, everything else works fine. The harness is a mess, so i'm considering cutting my losses and going with a painless or ron francis wiring kit. Any recommendations, if any of u have used them, let me know what your opinion of them was, and how hard the install is?

chevy406

Weekend Racer
Oct 11, 2008
ft pierce,fl
the wiring harness in my car was ripped out when i bought it, and i bought this harness it works great, easy install, every wire is coded, the harness plugs into all your dash plugins, ingnition switch, light switch, turn signal switch, its real nice good luck.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/20-Fuse-23-Circuit-Wiring-Harness,2345.html

abigda

Frequent Racer
May 19, 2007
Springfield, MA
thanx, def give it a look. a lot cheaper then a painless kit. so u don't have to wire in the factory connectors?

chevy406

Weekend Racer
Oct 11, 2008
ft pierce,fl
you plug the harness right in to the factory connectors, then distribute the wires to what ever assocries that ur going to use(head lights,tail lights, eletric seats , strater,etc). theres a wiring diagram that comes with the harness, it explains everything. if you look around you can get the harness even cheaper i got mine for 130 bucks from a hotrod parts place i forget the name ill try and find it for you.

87SS

Dragway Regular
Jul 18, 2004
Hillsborough, NJ
www.cardomain.com
Probably more than you wanted to spend, but if you decided to redo the entire electrical system, I found the Autowire Highway kit to be well worth it. They have a 15 and 22 circuit (I went with the 22) and it comes with everything you need. The previous owner felt that sheetrock screws (yes, I said sheetrock screws) would be a good grounding fastener in multiple places. WTF? Instead of having an electrical fire in the near future due to something I did not see behind the dash or behind a panel, I decided to rewire the car.

The fuse block does not come like other blocks with every single wire connected. You only connect which wire you need to use, making it very easy for a wiring newb like me to run 1 circuit at a time and not having a bunch of wires tangled up. I believe Painless has this as well, but this system has each wire labeled every 12 inches or so. Makes it real easy when working behind the dash and thinking to yourself "I wonder which wire this is?"

87SS

Dragway Regular
Jul 18, 2004
Hillsborough, NJ
www.cardomain.com
Yup, the Highway is the same concept, insert the circuit you want to run, tighten down the lock screw and run your line. That looks like a nice kit as well there.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts