Air/Drag bags or Anti roll bar ?

Brian79

Frequent Racer
Aug 21, 2008
Wataga, IL
OK here is the deal. I have a friend that has a 87 Cutlass running 11.3's and his car is lifting the left front 8 or more inches and getting all kinds of stupid on the launch. He said he needed to put drag bags in to stop this and I told him that he needed to get an Anti roll bar cuz it was going to work better. The reason he is stuck on the bag idea is because he has used them in the past and they worked to some extent but he was only doing 11.9-12.1. I told him he was past the drag bag days, that he needed to step up to the anti roll bar.

My ? is: which is right.

DFWMalibu

Dragway Regular
Dec 15, 2006
Dallas,Tx
Malibu355 said:
ARB all the way. You can't go wrong.

x2 takes all of it out :D

Chris K.

Norm Peterson

Amateur Racer
Oct 18, 2003
state of confusion
Here's why . . .

What you're really trying to do is turn the engine torque reaction into something useful - like re-planting the RR (that wants to go light from the pinion trying to climb up the ring gear). Basically, you're working the engine torque reaction against driveshaft torque with the idea being to end up with very little change in rear wheel loadings. This is really a chassis roll phenomenon.

Drag bags only "sort of" address this, mostly by preloading the RR so that when the load eventually does come off of it you hopefully end up about right. That ends up being a bit of a guessing game, while the antiroll bar approach only reacts as much (or as little) as the situation requires. That said, there might be a little advantage to be had by preloading an antiroll bar, but that's something to tinker with for a specific car after adding one rather than being an important reason for choosing an ARB in the first place.

IMO, an ARB is going to be a lot better about keeping rear axle roll steer down to a minimum. Having to anticipate and compensate for tail-happiness is going to steal some of your concentration away from your main job of winning the race. I can't put a number on this, but it's never going to help your performance.

With either method, chassis torsional stiffness matters, as does making the front suspension roll stiffness as low as practical. Any "twist" that you lose along the way from the engine mounts to the rear ARB is lost load as far as planting the RR is concerned, up to the point where you pull both front tires.

Incidentally, this is all related to the reason that soft front springs and disconnected or removed front sta-bars work at the strip - reducing front roll stiffness has a similar effect as adding rear roll stiffness.

Assuming that the rear suspension geometry and springs are at least somewhere near right, there is no need to add any pure vertical rear stiffness, which bags also do.

Norm

BMR Sales

Frequent Racer
Nov 20, 2008
Hello, the anti roll bar is whats going to be needed to stop the body roll. Our xtreme anti roll bar works and works well. Our bar is constructed from 1 3/8" solid steel and we use QA1 xr series 1/2" rod ends to connect it. We have 3 different anti roll bars to fit any rear end that you might have. Here is a link to our site. If you have any questions feel free to give me a call.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/G-Body.htm

Attachments

• XSB006-small.jpg
    XSB006-small.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 2,227

80montecarlo

Dragway Regular
Apr 24, 2008
cloverdale b.c. canada
BMR Sales said:
Hello, the anti roll bar is whats going to be needed to stop the body roll. Our xtreme anti roll bar works and works well. Our bar is constructed from 1 3/8" solid steel and we use QA1 xr series 1/2" rod ends to connect it. We have 3 different anti roll bars to fit any rear end that you might have. Here is a link to our site. If you have any questions feel free to give me a call.

where does that bar mount and what do they cost??

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
another question...i have arb brackets on my rear end already, but no arb. would this mount up to those or do i have to use the bolt on ones with the kit.

BMR Sales

Frequent Racer
Nov 20, 2008
80montecarlo said:
BMR Sales said:

where does that bar mount and what do they cost??

Sorry about the delay in getting back with you. The bar mounts to the rear end and attach to the frame crossbrace in the front. The complete kit sells for $399.95 and is available for any rear end. Here is a pic of the bar installed on a fab 9 rear.

Attachments

• C-xtremeSmall.jpg
    C-xtremeSmall.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 2,264

BMR Sales

Frequent Racer
Nov 20, 2008
grizwald said:
another question...i have arb brackets on my rear end already, but no arb. would this mount up to those or do i have to use the bolt on ones with the kit.

It is going to depend on the brackets that you already have. More than likely they will need to be replaced with our brackets. Send me a picture of your existing setup and i will see if its possible to get it to work.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts