Alternator wire

Sikmalibu

Dragway Regular
Apr 2, 2008
Central NJ
I was told when you move the battery to the trunk and you use a cut off switch that you simply take a wire and run it from the alternator to the switch. Does anyone know if this is right or not?? I am working on putting my car back together and I really wanna know now while I have the time to get it right. Thanks in advance!

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
For the switch to effectively kill power to the whole car the alternator wire has to be connected to the battery side of the switch, otherwise the car will keep running. I don't know what the rules are about this though.

HP JUNKEY

Dragway Regular
Oct 30, 2008
Buffalo.NY
Try 1 of these kits, found on the Jegs web site, they both prevent "run on" when the master disconnect switch is turned off. I would recommend the the 250 amp one that I used.

Charging System Shutdown Relay KitP/N - 764-50103
Alternator feedback can keep your engine running even with the master disconnect turned off - this kit eliminates engine run-on. Highly recommended by most racing sanctioning bodies. Easy to install with all hardware and instructions. 35 amp maximum
Note: For racing use only.

I used this kit in my car:
# High Amp Alternator Shut Down Relay KitP/N - 764-50105
This kit, comes complete with 250 amp solenoid and two 10' sections of 8 gauge wire, will effectively handle alternator feedback of the highest amperage alternators. Eliminates engine run-on when the master disconnect is turned off.

You should also buy the battery relocation kit and a Master cut off switch. The kit will have enough wire to run up to the starter and all the other crap you will need. Good Luck!!

Sikmalibu

Dragway Regular
Apr 2, 2008
Central NJ
I was actually looking at that kit the other night. I will have to go with that, and thanks a lot for the quick responses! 8)

HP JUNKEY

Dragway Regular
Oct 30, 2008
Buffalo.NY
Doober said:
For the switch to effectively kill power to the whole car the alternator wire has to be connected to the battery side of the switch, otherwise the car will keep running. I don't know what the rules are about this though.

I did this when I first relocated mine to the trunk, all excited, I jump in, fire it up, and go back and throw switch off and motor is still running ](*,) ](*,) , So I call Jegs and they tell me I have to interupt the alternator with a "shut down" relay kit. Once I got it and hooked it up, work like a champ!! I mounted mine behind the passenger side kick panel, It is out of site and gives me another direct battery 12V source under the dash! Now I am compliant with IHRA and NHRA rules for trunk mounted batteries.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts