another c clip elim ??

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
are there any tricks with eliminators to keep them from her leaking? i have the strange kit that has 2 aluminum pieces. just wondering if i should use any silicone between those. strange said that there's no gasket that goes there...but what stops it from leaking?

another question...with screw in studs, is there any special procedure in keeping them in place? the ones i removed were tacked in place. do i need to do that again?

i hate to sound like an idiot...but i have NO experience with this stuff.

Betcha618

Frequent Racer
Sep 19, 2007
coram, NY
the C-clip eliminator ends that bolt in always end up leaking from what I've heard. My screw in studs I just used lock-tite on, I've never welded them and never had a problem.

monzaz

Dragway Regular
Aug 10, 2005
Richfield, Oh
www.jdrace.com
Elim kits- C-clip eliminator usually leak from improper prep work to the mating surfaces of the aluminum elim block and the backing plate . If your backing plates are all bent up and not true you will have a leak problem...If you do not cut the axle tube end off at the correct length you could have a leak problem also.

In the strange elim blocks the bearings use 'O' rings on the outer diameter of the bearing to keep the oil from passing the bearing ...Moser uses a one piece block and have had NO issues with leakage if installed correctly to correct good parts. Prep work will go along way to sealing the works up correct

Screw in studs should NOT require any welding and IF you are using any aftermarket axles Moser strange etc. THAT WILL VOID ANY AND ALL WARRANTY!!! PUT the welder away. NO grinding either.

screw them in and your done. The lug on the wheel side will keep any stud from backing out.

Good luck

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
i'm not welding anything. the studs that came on the axles i bought (i got a used rearend) needed to be changed to longer ones. the studs were already tacked in place....so i had no choice but to grind the weld off as best i could and break the rest loose with a wrench. the new studs are pretty tight going in (it must have a tapered hole or something on the axle flange), so i think a little loctite will be good enough for keeping them in place.

as far as the elims go...i have newer b/p's that i'm puting on so i might be ok there. i'm going to clean up the housing real good where it mates to the b/p and put a bit of silicone there to seal it and also use the gasket for in between the elim block and b/p. i just wonder if i should be using silicone in between the 2 pieces of aluminum that make up one c clip elim. there's no gasket that goes there and i just wonder how that would NOT leak.

another thing that i found to be pretty odd was that the front (or outside) part of the elim that contains the bearing has a little steel ring that goes on after the bearing. that's not the odd part....the odd part is that the little ring is tacked to the axle in 4 spots. i've never heard of anyone doing that before. oh well...as long as it works, i'm happy. it'll just suck if i ever have to replace the bearings.

Betcha618

Frequent Racer
Sep 19, 2007
coram, NY
monzaz said:
In the strange elim blocks the bearings use 'O' rings on the outer diameter of the bearing to keep the oil from passing the bearing ...Moser uses a one piece block and have had NO issues with leakage if installed correctly to correct good parts. Prep work will go along way to sealing the works up correct

fIRST OFF, HE DOESN'T HAVE THE MOSER 1 PIECE BLOCK IF YOU READ HIS POST. Secondly I know 4 people that have the 2 piece strange C-clip eliminators and have had nothing but problems with them leaking. All 4 had them professionally installed by 4 different places.

monzaz

Dragway Regular
Aug 10, 2005
Richfield, Oh
www.jdrace.com
Orange...I did pay attention... He asked how strange kept the oil from leaking out of the housing...Please reread what you quoted.. Thanks. :)

I only stated that YOU (everyone) should not weld to any aftermarket axles as it voids the warranty... (maybe other people did not know this info and I thought it was GOOD to know. Please read the info thoroughly before chopping people up...You asked for info I gave you what you wanted ... and then some extra and I get all chopped up...Geez. =D>

As far as your friends strange c-clip elim kit leaking by professional install ??? I do not know if they are stock axles or aftermarket axles. I also do not know if they cut the end of the tube to the proper distance as stated in the directions...Lastly I do not know who these 'Professionals are?? ' I LOVE that term by the way PROFESSIONAL- this must be above all us standard HUMANS...LOL \:D/ So I can speak for them and to how good they are at their profession. Is that all they do? rear differential or are they GENERAL Professional mechanics....???? :) I am NOT perfect by any means.(1st to admit that) If they keep trying to stop the leak and nothing is successful I would say we have some defective parts or as stated earlier backing plates are not true 'O' ring is shot...You will NOT be able to see that. Best way to try to help to figure out where the problem lies clean as well as possible and try to pin point the leak area. AND this is the exact reason we do not use the strange elim kit...Moser elim kit only ONE place to leak from the backing plate to the elim block.

The steel clip in the block... Some use a snap ring to hold the bearing into the alum block housing...BUT tack welding AGAIN??? GEEZ someone should take the welder from who ever you got this stuff from...lol.

I would say you are destine for a long life of headaches from the sounds of what was done to all the parts.

I guess all you can do is gum up the works the best you can and cross them fingers. I do wish you the best on the leak problem.

One more question...Is this elim kit on a G-body rear that had to be drilled to fit or are they on a standard 4 bolt hole backing plate system like the old chevelle muscle car era?

Axle studs are a press fit they have knurls that smash and cut into the drilled hole. so the hole will be .472 and the press in stud will have a .480 knurl over sized so it will cut into the hole...too many in and outs and the hole will be used up and loose...Which brings us to a whole other problem ...but that is personal. :) curse_sign.gif dancin_banana.gif lame_sign.gif [-X

Hope the info HELPS and I am not here to cut anyone down or make them look bad or dumb. Just giving free info. Take care. Jim

Betcha618

Frequent Racer
Sep 19, 2007
coram, NY
i wasn't trying to chop you down. Seemed like you were trying to proove my statement wrong by using a part he doesn't have as an example.
.Moser uses a one piece block and have had NO issues with leakage if installed correctly to correct good parts.

i was telling him about the ones he has that I've seen used.

My buddy actually had a Strange rear in his car that he bought complete from Strange and his end leaked too.

I have had a Moser unit in my car for 5 years now with no leaks what so ever. But I didn't think it was relevent to the parts he was using.

monzaz

Dragway Regular
Aug 10, 2005
Richfield, Oh
www.jdrace.com
I do not know...But I just logically look at the design and the one piece sure makes more sense since the load on these items is usually very HIGH and the less flex the better and that will be with a one piece item. I wish they made them from steel to tell you...We could sure use them on the demo derby guy builds. I am pretty sure it has to do with ease of manufacturing and heat dissipation.

Unfortunately it is very hard to tell people how and why failure of parts occur. I really hate to tell most people this BUT it is usually installer error...EVEN from Moser or strange currie etc. Most people bring me there problems and that is almost 90% of the trouble...Someone bought the car and the owner before that muked the car all up and used or modified parts and then they never work...I always seem to be the barer of the bad news GUY.

I do not try to blame anyone or tell them they are full of it...I just call them like I see them from experience. I am sure there are special cases. As stated defective parts are floating everywhere and can and will cause that brain smashing headache ](*,) you spend hours days and months figuring out the part was defective all along...:(

Take care guys and good luck on all your cars ...enjoy the summer. Jim

A

Anonymous

And that is why I went with ford 9" ends, no leaking.......

monzaz

Dragway Regular
Aug 10, 2005
Richfield, Oh
www.jdrace.com
LOL. yah but everything else is a problem...lol. Just kidding.... lol. Jim

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts