Another electric fan question

Steve84EC

Amateur Racer
Aug 29, 2004
Daytona
www.starterupsteve.com
I have the fan and i have a wiring harness with a relay and built in fuse. jsut a question about the fan, it has to wires coming from it into a wire box (i don't know what to call it). Below is the fan i have, on the bigger picture you can see the wiring. thanks in advance

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PROCOMP-16-INCH-ELECTRIC-RADIATOR-THERMO-COOLING-FAN_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33600QQihZ013QQitemZ230189763975QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW#ebayphotohosting

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
The only part of the wiring I see is for the motor itself, looks like just a connector on the end...??? If that's the case and your harness/relay/fuse wasn't designed for it, you should just be able to splice into the wiring. Being that it's reversible, you don't have to worry about burning out anything in the motor, but I believe the blue wire would be + if you want it to be a puller. Just try it with each polarity and that should tell you how you want to hook it up :) It does say that it's configured by default as a puller, so if you want it to be a pusher you just need to flip the blades around :D

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
No problem :) I'm slightly wary about electric fans anymore though, took my last one off after blowing 4 alternators over the course of about 5 days... I may have had something wired up wrong, but everything with that fan setup worked fine for the year of drive time preceding the alternator fiasco.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Yep, had a fuse just before the relay from the battery, relay was ignition-switched, and the thermostat switch was between the relay and fan, wired fan straight to ground. I thought I'd seen somewhere about a diode or something that's supposed to keep from ruining the motor when it's freewheeling (something about the brushes I think?), but I don't know if that has anything to do with the alternators.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Doober said:
It does say that it's configured by default as a puller, so if you want it to be a pusher you just need to flip the blades around :D

The blades are non-directional on some low efficiency, reversible fans. Especially cheap, straight blade units. If they weren't, flipping it around wouldn't change anything. They would just be running backwards. You just reverse polarity to reverse them. The better, quieter, more effiecient blades are directional. In that case you need to flip the blade and reverse the polarity. I could tell you in a second if I had the blade in hand. It's really hard to tell from pictures.

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!