Another manual brake question

Gitdowns

Daily Driver
Jan 28, 2007
Wichita Falls, TX. 76308
I have read every thread on here pertaining to manual brake conversions. I have a 79 Malibu, stock brakes front and rear. I took off my power booster years ago, used the same master cylinder, push rod, etc. Yes the pedal is very hard to push, but I am a big boy and it has never been a big problem for me. Now the master cylinder is leaking and needs replaced. I can get a manual master cylinder from the local auto parts store. They have one listed for use with manual brakes and another for power brakes. I am planning on using the one for manual brakes. I was reading the threads about Steel Concepts kit. I have stock disc/drum brakes, will the master cylinder with the kit work with the stock brakes, purportioning valve, etc. Reflaring lines wont be a problem, just want to get into major redo on the whole system. Also, if you just have the bracket, what other master cylinders can be used if the one that comes with the kit wont work for what I have. I would like the pedal to be easier to push also.

Malibu355

Pro Stocker
Feb 21, 2009
La Marque, Texas
Check www.dragracebrakes.com Real nice person to deal with. I was told by him that with his kit and disc/drum brakes you would eliminate the proportioning valve and add a 10# residual valve for the rear brakes. If I am wrong somwone should chime in. Hope that helps you.

tyster89

Dragway Regular
Apr 11, 2008
North of ST Louis MO 30 miles
I also would like to use a factory mc. It's only 25$, what to swapping power to factory manual?

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD
Factory manual brake cars had the MC mounted on the upper two studs on the firewall and the pushrod was connected to the upper hole in the brake pedal for proper pedal ratio.

tyster89

Dragway Regular
Apr 11, 2008
North of ST Louis MO 30 miles
10secBu said:
Factory manual brake cars had the MC mounted on the upper two studs on the firewall and the pushrod was connected to the upper hole in the brake pedal for proper pedal ratio.
Was there any kind of plate used? The rod was only serviced with the mc from GM, and si no longer available.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts