ANother newbie Nitrous question

JBreu

Frequent Racer
Jan 31, 2010
Livonia. New York
I have a 388 sbc motor with all forged internals and the lower end kit is rated for up to 800 ho and 8000 rpm's. Best pass last year was a 12.57 @109mph and that was with transmission issues..I have since fixed the transmission issue, still have to take it to the track..Hopefully this weds or fri. Anyways, I was thinking of a NOS 100 or 150 shot..what would be the best set up to get..Will a I need a different fuel pump instead of my eddy mechanical????? HOw much difference would I see in ET? I am currently running with the timing at 37degrees as that's where it dynoed the best. It is a street/strip car.

CHUMPCHANGEBU

Weekend Racer
Apr 30, 2011
LI,NY
hard to say what nos will do for you but i can bet that since u fixed ur transmission ur car will be in the 11's on hp i would tune the engine first and than spray it. friend of mine had a 388 wih afr210's it went 11.15 in a 86 monte ss street car went 9.90's with a 175 shot

Malibu 361

Dragway Regular
Jan 11, 2007
Queens,NY
I would always run an electric pump with NOS but that is my opinion .I don't like the mechanical engine driven pumps...I actually run 2 pumps ,one for the motor and one for the NOS..

bfurches

Daily Driver
Oct 20, 2011
Western, MA
Malibu 361 said:
I would always run an electric pump with NOS but that is my opinion .I don't like the mechanical engine driven pumps...I actually run 2 pumps ,one for the motor and one for the NOS..

Couldn't agree more.
The biggest mistake guys make when running nitrous is to buy an off the shelf kit and slap it on in a hurry. Plan the system out the same way I am sure you planned your engine build...

Whenever possible I recommend running a separate fuel system for the nitrous. The additional cost is well worth the insurance for the motor. Invest in little things like adjustable low pressure switches so if the fuel pressure drops the nitrous turns off.

Also, don't forget to pull timing while on spray unless you are running a higher ocatne fuel in an independent system for the spray.

A good tune up on a 150 shot should net you about 6-8 tenths judging by where you are now (in relation to hp and et)

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!