another posi swap question

A

Anonymous

This guy is selling the posi carrier and 3.42 gears for $100. Its out of a 87 f body. Question is can I stuff it in my 79 malibu's original rear. It appears to have a 10 bolt meatball cover. Thanks, oh and he says it's a 26 spline carrier

Attachments

• posi.jpg
    posi.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,179

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
Yes its a bolt in use the shims that came with your rear end and dont mix them up.Just to be sure count the axle splins.

A

Anonymous

ok I've never fooled with rear ends before. So will putting this in be the same as changing the ring and pinion or is it just a bolt in affair? it comes with everything including bearings, etc.

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
I did mine .The most important thing is do not mix up the shims.
Is your bu a 78 ?the 78 had a big pinion bearing. the 79 and up is the same.First take the pinion nut off. Jack up the rear of the car and support it with jack stands. remove the tires.under the car remove the dif.cover rotate the carrier untill you can take out the bolt that holds the pinion shaft in.push the pinion shaft in a little and rotate the carrier so you can take the pinion shaft out.Push the axles in so you can remove the C clip with a magnet.Pull the axles out a little.remove the four carrier bolts and retaining caps (dont mix these up).With a prybar or a long screw driver pry out the carrier keep a eye on the bearing shimes.With the carrier out, slide out the pinion gear.I would change the pinion seal.Look at the two pinion if yours is NOT a 78 they should be the same size,also check the posi bearing.If all looks good install .Install the pinion then the drive shaft flange and nut .Now put the posi in with the bearing races that came with the posi and the shims that came in your stock rear end.screw on the carrier bolts and caps ,troque them to 70lbs spin the carrier to see how it spins,No binding.Slind in the axles with a magnet install the C clips. install the pinion shaft then the long pinion shaft bolt.With a new cover gasket install the rear cover .fill with one tube of posi lub and gear oil intill it comes out the fill hole. Replace the fill plug ,remove the jack stands and lower the car .Take a road test if it dont howl your good if it howls have a garage look at it.Hope thats everything.

A

Anonymous

It's a 79 that Im making look like a 78. Im pretty sure it still has the original rear/ I took the rear cover off weeks ago to see what gear ratio it currently has and its a 2.73.

I think your getting me on the right track though :D

454mali

Dragway Regular
Jan 26, 2006
Cleveland OH
and if its noisy you'll wish you measured and set it up right. Get the manual and read up a little before you do it.

A

Anonymous

ya Im researching it pretty extensively first before I do it. Its not a daily driver, in fact I'm not even finished with the v8 swap yet and even then it's only going to be a weekend, nice weather car.

A

Anonymous

DOUG213XRJ said:
Yes its a bolt in use the shims that came with your rear end and dont mix them up.Just to be sure count the axle splins.

should I be using the shims that came with the posi carrier ( he labeled and kept everything in order) or the shims that are on my existing carrier?

Nothing is apart yet dont worry.

A

Anonymous

anyone that may be thinking of doing this in the future this link is pretty informative

http://www.drivetrain.com/ringpinioninstal.html

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!