Another rollcage question...

Sikmalibu

Dragway Regular
Apr 2, 2008
Central NJ
I am re-doing my cage from when my friend welded it to the sheetmetal instead of the frame and I was wondering if I'm supposed to attach the small bars that come off the back bar and go towards the middle of the car. There is no frame there but there is a crossmember that I can box and attach it to. What did you guys do with those bars?? I dont wanna do the cage a 3rd time so please help me out here. Thanks

malibulvr

Pro Stocker
Mar 22, 2008
Pensacola, Fl. 32526
I would run those bars to the upper control mounts, and then run a diagonal brace across the main hoop from the right hand bottom to the upper left corner, but check with the rulebook and see whats proper.

Silver Malibu

Daily Driver
Apr 6, 2007
rockford il
s&w told me on the phone that the bars coming off the main hoop going towards the trans tunnel cam be welded to the floor boards.The main hoop,back bars and door bars go to the frame if its an 8pt.If its a 10 main hoop,rear bars a-piller bars run to the frame.My friend welded steel plates to the trans tunnel then welded thoughs bars to it.

Malibuwagon80

Dragway Regular
Aug 8, 2007
North Jersey
Sikmalibu You don't have to use the 2 extra bars if you don't want too. They are provided for cars that have subframe connectors. I have the same kit as you got, we welded the hoop and to frame, back bars to the spring perches, and the front bars to the frame at the door jams. The tech guy at Raceway Park ok'd me for 10.0 and slower. You can weld the 2 other bars to the upper control arm area though it will require some modifying,or I've seen them welded into a few different spots, like trans tunnel, floor etc.

malibulvr

Pro Stocker
Mar 22, 2008
Pensacola, Fl. 32526
If you do decide to weld the extra bars to the trans tunnel/floorpan, make sure you have already replaced all of your body bushings, because once you weld the cage to the floor the body cannot be raised to replace them. It also doesn't allow for any "give" between the body and frame, which IMO you do need to some degree on these cars. If it was a "unibody" or "subframed" style car then by all means you would need the bars welded to the body to stiffen it up as much as possible.

CutlassRacer

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 18, 2004
Gainesville, FL
www.facebook.com
Either weld them to the control arm mounts, or fab up some 3" square plates, weld them to the floor, then weld the bars to the plates. What others said about not being able to move the body is 100% true. Personally, I think the car should be as stiff as possible if it is being setup for drag racing duty only so I like to weld some extra brackets between the cage and the body and between the frame and the body.

Sikmalibu

Dragway Regular
Apr 2, 2008
Central NJ
Thanks alot for all the input. I think I'm goin to go through the floor and box the crossmember that is there then attach it to that. I think that will be the strongest. I am probably gonna make an x brace for the rear bars to the frame right by the frame perches and make it really stiff. I'll take some pics of the process as I go along.

red barn

Frequent Racer
Mar 5, 2007
Syracuse, NY
I ran a tube between the main hoop right above the floor and ran th ediagonals to that. Nice part about doing it that way is that you can run a tube from the lower bar to your lower control arm mounts for a brace

Wagon33.jpg

Sikmalibu

Dragway Regular
Apr 2, 2008
Central NJ
red barn said:
I ran a tube between the main hoop right above the floor and ran th ediagonals to that. Nice part about doing it that way is that you can run a tube from the lower bar to your lower control arm mounts for a brace

Wagon33.jpg

Wow I really like that alot. I hope you dont mind if I do the same thing. I'm trying to make it a slick as possible without making a pro stock cage... :lol:

red barn

Frequent Racer
Mar 5, 2007
Syracuse, NY
Not at all. Just post some pics when you get it installed!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!