any one use the BBK SSI intake?

Conan-64

Daily Driver
Aug 13, 2010
im considering the purchase of a BBK SSI intake for my 5.3. any one have any experiance with this intake? is it worth the money?

v8power

Frequent Racer
Jul 24, 2008
okc
Better off with a ls6 intake.

Conan-64

Daily Driver
Aug 13, 2010
i was thinking LS6 but they usually sell for around $400. For $500 i can get the BBK.

Is the LS6 intake just a better intake for the 5.3?

quickie70

Weekend Racer
Feb 20, 2008
Denver, CO
the 5.3 doesn't really have enough airflow to warrant even the ls6 intake, honestly. Unless you have a really raunchy cam in it or something. The camaro/corvette ls1 intake flows plenty of air for a stock(ish) 5.3. Now if you are considering doing anything bigger in the future (347/383 out of that block, or a stockish 6.0 or 408), you'd be better off going big now so you don't waste time and money.
I got my ls1 intake from a guy that upgraded to a BBK with his 383 LS1 for $20 with his stock fuel rails, and his 383 picked up 18 peak wheel horsepower from the stocker. The 5.3 might pick up 1/2 of that, but I'd prefer spending the extra $280-480 (depending on where you get an intake) on stuff that would net me more than 9 ponies.

Something to consider is that you'll need to run the longer ls1 type injectors in any intake/fuel rail upgrade (I think the exception is the ls2 intake, but don't quote me on that), the coolant crossover will need to be changed (may as well do the ls6 type now, it's cheap) and you'll need to get injector adapters to adapt the delphi plug to the EV1 plug. I also changed the accessories to the f-body stuff so they would work with the car intake perfectly. I think you can run the truck stuff if you get inquisitive, but I didn't feel like messing with it.

v8power

Frequent Racer
Jul 24, 2008
okc
ls1 tech ls6 intakes go for 300$ all day long. you can make your own injector spacers easily. if you decide to add any more power to it down the road the ls6 intake is the way to go..can i ask you what your goals are? i know plenty of trucks around here with the stock intake on making 600rwhp all day long.. unless you just dont like the look of the truck intake lol i completly understand that part

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com
I would never in a million years bolt an aluminum intake to an LSX motor unless its some crazy one-off build or something. Just seems like taking a step backward. I agree with getting an LS1 intake if you are just concerned about looks. Dont expect any more performance out of it over the truck intake really.

v8power

Frequent Racer
Jul 24, 2008
okc
388bu said:
I would never in a million years bolt an aluminum intake to an LSX motor unless its some crazy one-off build or something. Just seems like taking a step backward. I agree with getting an LS1 intake if you are just concerned about looks. Dont expect any more performance out of it over the truck intake really.

exactly, the only aluminum intake i use is the vic jr with the elbow. 388bu made a good point, if you just going for the looks the ls1 intake will be fine

Conan-64

Daily Driver
Aug 13, 2010
Sorry guys. here is what i have so far:
5.3 vortec.
top end from 98 Camaro (complete intake injectors, harness and comp)

Granatelli Maf
Long tube headers

At this point im just really lookking to ad some HP without really digging into engine internals and thats when the BBK came to mind.

Attachments

• photo[1].jpg
    photo[1].jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 2,071

LT1_Malibu

Amateur Racer
Jan 19, 2006
Greenup, Kentucky
The truck intake will flow just as good as a stock ls1 intake. It just looks ugly lol.
Like everyone is saying, the aluminum intake may flow better but with the 5.3 youre not breathing the air a bigger cubed engine will. Not to mention the added heat soak that will cost you some power when the engine gets hot. The composit intake will stay relatively cool even when it's hot out. I've seen countless ls1 cars run identical times even when theyre hot lapped. The only aftermarket Lsx intake that's worth buying is the F.A.S.T but it's also close to 1k for the intake/throttle body setup.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!