Anyone running Hotchkis Lowering springs?

mebe007

Amateur Racer
Oct 16, 2009
Eastern Virginia
Anyone running the hotchkis coild? i got mine installed and finally got the car back on the ground and dang this thing is friggin low. The top of the back bumper is just below my knee cap. Tires on it right now are 215/65/15. I want to run 275/60/15 and it looks like its gonna be tight. lets see pics of your car with hotchkis coils and what size tires u guys running?

also i hope the front drops enough. they specified small blocks or big blocks with aluminum heads and i happen to be running a small block with aluminum heads. if it doesnt what are my options?

also just as a refresher were the open part of the coil supposed to face forward or backwards on the spring perch?

IMAG0117.jpg

IMAG0116.jpg

IMAG0115.jpg

IMAG0118.jpg

1980PontiacWagon

Frequent Racer
Feb 5, 2011
Northern Virginia
I had them all 4 corners of my wagon, but the rear sat too low, like lower than the front and just didn't look good, so i put stock coils back in, but left the fronts in..I love the way mine looks, but I have an Iron headed big block, so that adds another 70 pounds to my front end.
235/60/15 tires all around

DSC_7544.jpg

Brown_Gbody

Top Fueler
Feb 17, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
I'm running those springs on all four corners. 275/60/15's in back and 235/60's up front.
This is not the best picture, but it's all I have at the moment. No rubbing in the rear, but it's close....

I like the way mine sits...

malibu090.jpg

Brown_Gbody

Top Fueler
Feb 17, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
And speaking of the bumper being at kneecap level...... I have a couple pairs of shorts with those cargo pockets on the legs... The bumper is lined up perfectly with those stupid pockets, so when I walk around the corner of the car too close, it will catch the pocket and try to trip me..... (stupid I know.......) :mrgreen: lame_sign.gif

UMI Performance

Amateur Racer
Oct 5, 2005
Bigler, Pa
www.umiperformance.com
Usually the Hotchkis springs have a great height on these cars. They aren't designed for big blocks so with a big block and iron heads the front will sit lower.

I like the rake look too, a little lower in the front than rear so the rear being lower is hard to deal with. Make sure you have the springs seated correctly.

mebe007

Amateur Racer
Oct 16, 2009
Eastern Virginia
Refresh me on how to seat correctly. The fronts have the coil in the little pocket like their supposed to in the control ARM.

Brown g body yours looks low and reassures me a little. Are u rubbing aluminum or iron heads? I have aluminum heads on my small block

Anymore photos

Also note: there is no engine or trans in the car @ the moment.

UMI Sales

Amateur Racer
Jan 6, 2009
mebe007 said:
Refresh me on how to seat correctly. The fronts have the coil in the little pocket like their supposed to in the control ARM.

Brown g body yours looks low and reassures me a little. Are u rubbing aluminum or iron heads? I have aluminum heads on my small block

Anymore photos

Also note: there is no engine or trans in the car @ the moment.

Depending on which lower a-arm you have in the front will depend on how the pigtail sits. With a factory lower, make sure the pigtail tip is in the lowest part of the pocket. With arms like ours, make sure the tip isn't on the high part of the ramp. Up in the frame, make sure it's not hung up on the locators stamped into the frame.

For the rears, just make sure everything is properly centered.

ramey

Brown_Gbody

Top Fueler
Feb 17, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
I have a crate 350 in the car with iron heads. Also running stock front suspension.

mebe007

Amateur Racer
Oct 16, 2009
Eastern Virginia
Ok cool. Yeah everything is seated correctly. I called hotchkis. They said all my part #'s are correct. He also said when I get the engine in it will actually pull some weight off the rear and it won't be quite so low.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts