Anyone using stock colum shifter w/4l60e?

TurboBu

Daily Driver
Jul 13, 2009
Sw Missouri
I've got a 78 bu 5.3 4l60e swap car with a bench seat. Wanting to keep the floor clear for my honey's legs. So I want to keep the stock shifter. have looked at Lokar cable linkage but it doesn't look like it will work.

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
I think theres room in the stock shifting linkage to get all the gears when shifting manual . Doug

Deuce4935

Frequent Racer
Nov 19, 2007
Chicago, Il
kugel components shifter linkage is another option,

Stangboy

Dragway Regular
Jan 27, 2004
Ky
Im wanting to column shift my 4l80e, but its a ways off... years at the current pace im on...

Keystone Mark

Daily Driver
Nov 28, 2009
The stock column shifter will work. I have an 80 Bu with a 5.3/4L60E. The engine is mounted with the Transdapt 1" setback adapters and the stock clamshells and frame pads. I had to trim the back coil stand off of the pass side valve cover and trim the coil bracket to clear the AC box. It is tight to the firewall but clears. The truck PS pulley clears the PS steering box. The shifter linkage from the TH350 bolted to the 4L60E and only needed a small adjustment. I am using an Ididit PRNDL on the column for gear indicator. It needs a little shimming to fit but works nicely.

2aspire

Oct 26, 2010
I have an 86 monte SS (LS2 4L65E) and used John Bzdels custom mounts wich place the motor in essence about the same as the trans dapt 1" offset mounts..

I was able to hook up the column shift but the hassle is the header clearance.. Had to go custom as I couldnt get a set that would clear the shift linkage in addition to other areas that would require a BFH to "massage: as others have called it, to get a set to fit..

Keystone Mark

Daily Driver
Nov 28, 2009
I used f-body exhaust manifolds and the linkage fit without a problem. My exhaust guy mounted the cats behind the crossmember to give extra clearance for the pipes and keep heat away from the trans.

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
Cats? Are you in California?

Keystone Mark

Daily Driver
Nov 28, 2009
We all have to breathe the air. I am in PA and had the car registered as an antique so I don't even have to worry about inspection. I am not running rear O2 sensors so it wasn't about OBD2. It was the right thing to do

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!