ATI Plugs the Speedo Cable Hole.....Arghh

COPO 572

Dragway Regular
Mar 23, 2004
Morrisville, NC 27560
The Powerglide I bought from ATI has what looks like a freeze plug (from what I remember seeing last year) in the hole previously occupied by my speedometer cable.

Do you think I can remove this plug and the gizmo my cable plugs into will still be there, or would it have been removed because typically their transmissions are not going into street cars. I'd hate to think this transmission will have to come apart to make the speedo work again.

I'm really not happy about this because I told them it was for a street car. As lenient as the guys were who inspected my Malibu, they said they'd really like to see some mileage on the odometer when it came back.

I'm obviously not a transmission guy. I just shift 'em. Any advice?

Thanks,
COPO 572

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
I would contact them before opening it up. Once you remove the plug, you may void your warranty and will likely find there is no driven gear on the mainshaft.

You need to decide what drive/driven gear combo you need (based upon your tire size).

Redcutlass

Amateur Racer
Sep 28, 2003
Ft Walton Beach FL
Sounds like you've got an aftemarket planetary/output shaft in your glide - stock ratios are 1.82 or 1.76 what does this mean? It's very doubtful it the output shaft has a provision for the speedometer's drive gear. Call ATI and see it it does in fact have an aftermarket assembly and explain your problem.

If the assembly was based on a stock planetary carrier then you might get lucky. PGs used two different methods for securing the drive gear for the speedometer: a steel gear (pita as they have to be pulled/tapped on and off) and a plastic gear like found on the TH-350 and held on with a clip--the output shaft has a small hole to retain the clip.

First step is to call ATI. PM me with our phone number if you want cause I don't have time to write a book :lol: .

COPO 572

Dragway Regular
Mar 23, 2004
Morrisville, NC 27560
Redcutlass,

Prior to your reply I did call ATI. The guy on the phone didn't fill me with too much confidence, but he did assure me the speedo assembly would plug right in and be fine. Now after reading your post, I seriously doubt it. I think this warrants another phone call.

Thanks for your input.

COPO 572

mean78malibu

Dragway Regular
Mar 15, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA and Philly Area
I emailed them with the number off of my trans and they had a complete build sheet on it(i got it used). They should know everything about it when you call if you give that to them, might just need to get the right person.

MonteMike79

Pro Stocker
Nov 7, 2003
Erie, PA
If worse comes to worse, you can always rack up some miles on your speedo with a drill on the end of the cable. I know this is not the answer you're looking for, but it will keep the inspection guy off your back.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!