Autometer electrical trans temp gauge

evil80

Amateur Racer
Nov 24, 2008
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Anyone ever had any issues with this gauge? I'm not sure if I have an electrical issue or a Trans issue? I'm hoping to god its electrical. The sending unit for this gauge is in the trans temp cooler line going into the cooler and it works great for the first bit. I'm able to drive and get the trans temp up to about 150-165 degrees or so, and without warning the reading on the gauge will suddenly spike to its max reading. I figured maybe an air bubble or the trans was running low on fluid and wasn't pumping anything to the cooler.? so i checked fluid level and it was low.... I have been adding fluid 1/2 quart at a time and checking. Its up to a good level now and it still does it? Anyone ever had this problem? I'm thinking that I'm gonna drop the pan and add a bung so i can put the temp sensor right in the pan.

The fluid smells sweet and using a thermo temp heat gun the pan temp only reads 160 degrees when the gauge is reading 250+

Any ideas or experience with this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

LWillmann

Weekend Racer
There is a threaded bung built into the transmission for the sending unit already in most cases. There should be a small bolt that you can remove to thread the sender in.

I know there is on the 200-4R and 700-R4. I'm thinking it's on the passenger side of the case, but don't quote me on it.

I recommend you move your sending unit to the transmission itself and see if it works there, that way you're getting a good solid ground (the trans is grounded good, right?) and see if it still does it. If you still have problems, you may have a bad sending unit.

I have that same gauge (Pro-Comp Series) but haven't installed mine in the car yet. I'm still in the assembly phase.

evil80

Amateur Racer
Nov 24, 2008
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
LWillmann said:
There is a threaded bung built into the transmission for the sending unit already in most cases. There should be a small bolt that you can remove to thread the sender in.

I know there is on the 200-4R and 700-R4. I'm thinking it's on the passenger side of the case, but don't quote me on it.

I recommend you move your sending unit to the transmission itself and see if it works there, that way you're getting a good solid ground (the trans is grounded good, right?) and see if it still does it. If you still have problems, you may have a bad sending unit.

I have that same gauge (Pro-Comp Series) but haven't installed mine in the car yet. I'm still in the assembly phase.

Thanks for the input.... I'll check and see if there is a threaded bung in the trans for a sensor. But most likely I will be removing the pan and putting the sensor directly in the pan. This should submerge the sending unit enough to eliminate an air bubble in the cooler line as a possibility.

Thanks,
Jim

LWillmann

Weekend Racer
I realize I'm bringing a thread back from the dead, but did you ever solve your issue Jim?

The bung on the trans for temp sensors are in a fluid passage, so they'll get fluid going past them.

A lot of transmissions also have a bung for a pressure sensor as well, from what I have been able to find.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!